Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that changing primers for certain loads can cause very dramatic and sometimes dangerous pressures, which is why I am asking this question. When loading light 3/4oz loads in 12 gauge remington gun clubs and aa's, using promo, cb2100-12 and cb0178-12, would it hurt to use multiple types of primers? I have a lot of cci and win 209s and would like to use both if possible. Would there be too much pressure with the cci primers? Is there a recommended primer for this light load? Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
GenuineDouble said:
When loading light 3/4oz loads in 12 gauge remington gun clubs and aa's, using promo, cb2100-12 and cb0178-12, would it hurt to use multiple types of primers?
You'e more apt to get too high a pressure by using the cb2100-12 wad than you would by switching primers. The cb2100-12 is the wrong wad for the Gun Clubs/AA's since it is for a straight-wall hull such as he Federals, Estates, Rio's, Cheddites.

MM3

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
MM3,
First off you don't know what you are talking about. The clone of the 12S0 wad, the CB2100-12, has been recommendrd BY CLAYBUSTER, for use in tapered wall cases for 7/8 oz. loads for at least 15 years.

Additionally, Hodgdon has listed the 12S0 wad as a book load for 7/8 oz. loads wth Clays powder in AA and Rem. hulls for probably over 10 years.

There are lodgical reasons for doing this, but I won't waste my time here trying to explain. Suffice it to say that myself and several others at my club shot these loads for years with total success, and many still do.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with dropping the shot payload to 3/4 oz. using those recipes.

Next time you PO-PO on someones parade, be sure you research what you are saying. Bad advise is worse than none at all.

GenuineDouble
Disregard MM3's post. The 12SO wad will work fine in 3/4 oz. loads, although you will have to adjust the crimp die some to accomplish good tight crimps. Use very light wad pressure.

I would recommend that you not use the new AA HS cases with this wad as there is a possibility of an interfereance fit at the cupped base wad of these cases. However any and all Remington cases will work well, as will the older AA CF cases.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DLM,

Actually the 12s0 is my favorite wad in the AAHS case in 3/4 oz payload with Promo. Don't get me wrong the Remmie's and old AA's it works great too but the way my press spits out this combo in the AAHS is nothing short of excellent. Your advise has merit but I have yet to have any complications with interference in the AAHS.

I actually prefer the 12s0 enough that I use them over the WAA12L clones I originally bought for my 3/4's.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I've used gobs and gobs of AA12SL's, TGT-12's, Hawk II's, and any CB version of the three with about every imaginable primer on the market.

If in doubt check the pressure generated by your recipie. If it's approaching the "high" end of the scale use the primer recommended and only the primer recommended. If it's awful low (my loads were all around 7,500 - 8000 psi) you can use about any primer on the market.

The only primer I'd steer clear of unless specifically recommended is the CCI-M.

Use your best judgement on this matter. Careless substitution can lead to disaster but it's not likely from a simple primer change.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
D L Marcum said:
Additionally, Hodgdon has listed the 12S0 wad as a book load for 7/8 oz. loads wth Clays powder in AA and Rem. hulls for probably over 10 years.
12S0 is not a book load GC/STS in 7/8 for Clays with the CCI, or w209 that he said he had (it's listed for the Fed & Rem primer)

It is listed for a 7/8's load in AA's with a w209, so yes, I stand corrected.

Thanks for your friendly way of keeping me on the straight-n-narrow.

MM3

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
FYI the W209 and the Cheddite primers are virtually identical and in my unprofessional opinion can be interchanged in any sensible load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I plan on loading gun clubs and win AA 12 gauge, 3/4oz shot, 16.6 (maybe more?)promo or red dot powder, cb 2100-12, and win 209s. Just to be sure, I can use any of the following wads: CB2100-12, CB1100-12, and CB0178-12? Thanks again

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
When in doubt check the book, check the book, check the book! This site is a GREAT source of information but it's your safety on the line. CHECK THE BOOK, CHECK THE BOOK, CHECK THE BOOK!

Your loads will probably be just peachy fine. If you want to test them before firing them send a thousand loads to me and I'll shoot all of them and let you know how they performed. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts