Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the whole competition side of shotguns , but i went to the local gun club here and every tuesday night they have skeet shoots and i was thinking of getting into it ... now i have 2 questions what are the differences between skeet , trap and clay's ????? i for years thought all of these were the same thing just termed different

My second question is what is a good trap/skeet/clays shotgun out there , i dont want a entry level but i dont want a full custom job either .... i just want a shotgun that i wont feel i need to upgrade if i get seriously into this sport .... i was looking at the Beretta AL391 Teknys gold sporting ...... is this a good choice or not so much??? Im not new to shotguns just most of mine wear surefires and trijicons if you know what i mean.

Thanks Donnie

·
Registered
96 Posts
The AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting is an AWESOME gun. I'm familiar with your type of shotguns as well. My SureFire's hang off a Bushmaster M4. Back to the shotguns... The Teknys Gold Sporting is good for all games - skeet, trap, sporting clays, 5-stand, wobble-trap, etc. It is the Cadillac of autos. If you're looking for a souped-up Chevy, you might want to look at the AL391 Gold Sporting for a couple hundred bucks less. The Teknys has a lot of features one might purchase later to modify their gun. I bought my Teknys brand new for $1,450. You can get an AL391 Gold Sporting for $1,195 new. The major differences are that the Teknys has the following additional "features":

GelTek Recoil Pad
TruGlo Fiber Optic Sights
8.5 oz recoil reducer in the buttstock
Quick Release button
Cooler looking receiver
nicer wood

Are you dead set on an automatic? For an extra $150 over the Teknys, you could get a 686 White Onyx Sporting Over/Under which would give you a little more versatility for all of the sports. Just a thought.

Here's a great link about the game of skeet http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=49004. I'm sure others will chime in about trap and sporting clays. My favorite by far is sporting clays. It's like golf with a shotgun.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Dawg

Im not "DEAD SET" on a auto , just it would be what i prefered .... im not a big side by side or over and under fan ... i just have never been big into them .... Ive priced the Teknys and the price doesnt scare me ... atleast it isnt a 15k Parker .... i was just curious if this is what i was searching for .... like i said i dont want a entry level but not a 5-10k custom either .... I mainly precision shoot long rifles at over 1000yds (thats my game) and i have some pricey sticks and optics .... the shotgun price isnt a major concern, 2k is about my range i want to spend on this gun , you think the tekny is my best bet or something else? Correct me if im wrong in Clay/skeet and trap are you not shooting at the same targets?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Skeet and Trap you will see the same targets. On sporting clays courses you will see rabbits, teals, black edged targets, and skeet/trap targets. For my money, I bought the Teknys Gold Sporting. Money was not an issue for me. If I had thought there was a better automatic, I would have bought it.

I used to be a long-range guy, too. The price of competition ammo just got out of control and I like the shotgun sports crowd a little better. I've got a Remington 700P LTR .308 with Leupold VX3 Tactical that I used to shoot pretty regularly out to 600 yards. After shooting IDPA and 3-gun matches, I got really tired of the "what gear do you have if the SHTF?" There's much less paranoia in the clay shotgun sports crowd. I've yet to hear anyone talking about black helicopters once.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Donnie ,

Check out the Browning Gold Sporting Clays guns . Really nice .
Winchester has one in the Sporting Clays line that has a bit higher POI/POA , Browning's shoots a little flatter . Both are essentially the same gun .

Less than $1000 , in the nominal 8# range, 28" or 30" . The Gold SC guns have chromed chambers which some consider a +.

If you really want a gun that will be here after we're gone , try an SX-1 ; nothing better --- if you can find a"good" one .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Dawg
it sounds like you know the scene all to well , i can tell you have been there. I have a surgeon action , mike rock 5R 11 1/4 twist with a M24 taper barrel in a Macmillan A5 stock along with a Accuracy International 300wm and a Sako TRG 42 in 338 Lapua all 3 sticks topped off with schmidt and bender PMII's ( and i know EXACTLEY what you mean when you talk of the wanna be RAMBOS out there , thats not me at all).....I also shoot 3 gun matches as well .... sounds like we have been down the same road. Thanks for the replies.

Gordon i will take a look at the Browning Gold thats one i havent been looking at

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(TexasTon)

Steve
That hit the nail on the head thats exactley what i have been wanting to see , i knew you shot trap/skeet/clays in all three events , i just didnt know what made them different from each other. So what i basically got out of the read , is that in all three events you shoot trap/skeet/clays the only thing that changes is flight paths and angles of shots in the 3 events. I realise trap and skeet are usually on a open field/course and sporting clays are in natural surroundings and in clays there are a few different type clays ... flats and minis etc.

Thanks for that read
Donnie

·
Registered
17,956 Posts
Heck, for 2 Gs you can Probably get 2 391s, one a Trap model and one a Sporting model that would be good for Skeet too. Personaly I prefer O/Us, but have one 20 ga 391 Urika Sporting too. I seldom shoot it, but it is very capable for both Skeet and Sporting Clays, Most especially for Skeet. Main reason I don't like it for the "games" is it tosses the emptys all over the place, and I'm a "born again" hullaholic! I roll my own and can't stand to have to do anything but open'er up and pick them out of the pipes! I don't shoot competative rifle, but tack driving, bughole Varminters, I'm intimatly famillar with. Built a few myself over the years, Love those Wildcats! Getting harder and harder to find places to pop the heads off "dogs" out past the 1/2 mile line any more in these parts, but that IS a rush! :wink: I can always find rocks!

BP

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome Donnie,

Another thing to consider if you end up getting serious about any of the clay games (skeet got me) is an O/U saves one from a LOT of bending over to pick up empties. Not a huge deal, but if you get bit by the clay bug, you'll probably end up reloading too and those empty hulls are precious.

Otherwise, I'd say you've been pointed in right direction so far.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Look at the Browning Cynergy and the Rem 1100 Classic Trap. The Remmy will do all three games just fine.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
A Technys Gold sporting is one nice gun . For that kinda $$$ , you could get a Beretta O/U(entry level).I like O/U's and I shoot them BETTER. Give it some thought.

Also --remember that the cost of shooting will far exceed the costs of the gun.

I shoot a lot and spent about $5000 on entry fees and ammo each of the last 2 years(probably more).I shoot SC's and --sadly don't get to practice much-- but if there's a tournament w/in 3 hrs drive , I'm going.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Donnie,

You've gotten some good advise so far. I shoot O/U's, but recommend the Beretta Teknys Gold Sporting to all new shooters or the less expensive AL 391 Sporting. Many of my students use them. Unless you're extremely small or short, be sure to get the 30" barrel. It's great for sporting & trap, plus it's not too long for skeet. I'm not familiar with the Browning line. But, I can assure you that if you look at the autos at the the larger shoots, the Berettas are much more popular. There's probably a reason for that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The main difference between them is what is permitted. Skeet has to be the same. No matter where you go in the country (I think there is a little variance with international) it is the same. You get varying angels as you progress from straight on shots to 90 degree crossers. Trap has an oscillating base so the targets go away but not always the same place. I don't know all the exacts but it also has a specific set of rules for target presentation that are acceptable. Sporting clays has no rules about target flight except for safety reasons. You can have targets off of towers, bouncing rabbits, loopers, curling, or skipping across ponds. You can also have varying angels, speeds, heights, target types, target size, or any of the combination. The main difference that you will see when shooting is leads. Because of proximity and set speeds skeet will have a lead of about 3 feet max (varies from person to person but it will work as about.) However, in sporting clays because of the variance allowed, you can have leads on limited by the target setter. The farthest I felt I was in from was a little over 20 feet. Also another difference is sporting clays varies from week to week, club to club, or background to background.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts