Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reloaded 28ga Federal hulls with some success in the past. Recently, I got some more Federal hulls and am having problems with serious tenting. My recipe was 3/4 oz lead shot, 13gr. Unique, Federal 28S1 wad, and Winchester primer.

Understanding that tenting is usually the result of the wad being crushed and popping back up, I switched to 20/28 powder. It made no difference. I tried the Claybuster 28ga HS wad, since it is for a straight walled hull and is slightly shorter than the 28S1. It made no difference. I cut a shell open and the wad did not appear to have been crushed.

I am baffled. It seems to me that this must be a problem with the way that I am crimping the shells, but I do not know how to fix it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
You need to seat the final crimp stem deeper. I load lots of Federal hulls with several wads, mostly the Federal wad, and never have an issue with crimps opening up, dished a little sometimes, but never pooching open.

BP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.