Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for advice dealing with Mossberg. Sent and resent following e-mail to Mossberg:
I have not fired my new mdl 590 Persuader Mariner. It's new out of the box. I've read the owners manual. I Ioaded 5-- 3" shells in the magazine tube. The first 3 or 4 shells will chamber. The 5th and sometimes 4th shells will not chamber. They fall out of the bottom. Also the note: on page 5 of the owner's manual states that six shot models are shipped with a wooden dowel limiting capacity to two shells. I have not disassembled my gun; however, I was able to load the 5 shells. Please help.
I was hoping they would tell me how to troubleshoot the problem so I could correct the problem. Instead they said in so many words: Ship the gun back at my expense postage and insurance. Repair time 10-15 days or sometimes longer. Is this a normal practice in the gun world. Please advise.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Since the msg states that the gun hasn't been disassembled I would guess that its however the factory sent it out.

Find a local gunsmith and have them take a look at it. Also, ask to be shown how to break the gun down and if they have any tips for cleaning. Many times there can be packing grease in new guns that gum up the works.

It would be standard practice for a company to ask for an item to be returned, especially if there is a chance of a fault. If they just told you to move slot a into tab b and you did injury to yourself they would be liable, so better to have it in hand and let you keep yours.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My dealings with Mossberg CS have all been positive ones, something I can't say for any other company. It is common practice for them to expect you to ship it back at your expense. I'd go ahead and do so, then ask them to refund the shipping when they find something wrong with it. I haven't tried this on Mossberg, but it worked on Ruger :lol:

Also, consider that customer service people are used to being yelled at. The old adage holds true with them: you get more with a pinch of sugar than you do with a gallon of vinegar. They can do all kinds of stuff for you if they want to--I like to make friends and see if that helps. You can always put your foot down later.

Jeff23

1 - 4 of 4 Posts