Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made it back to the reloading bench after getting an empty AA hull. After comparing it to the Super X hulls that I have, as well as the green Winchester hull and the Fiocchi hull in the photos, I can clearly see the difference! So that explains why the WAA12R wad was not working in that hull with #4 buck. Now the problem I have is Hodgdon does not have any data specifically for Super X hulls, all of the reloading manuals are out of date and I have a lot of Super X hulls! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as soon as I can find some hulls, I'll be looking for loads for #4 buck in the .410 bore.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have Winchester 209 primers. I have universal, longshot and tightwad for powders. I'm going for 27 pellets of #4 buck ( mine weighs out at 1.280 ounces, so just over 1¼ ounces). If I understand correctly, if it's not a tapered hull then it's a straight wall, if that is correct then I need to get a wad for a straight wall hull. So would load data for Fiocchi or Cheddite hulls work?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As near as I can tell from the OP's interior hull photos, the Win hulls in question are tapered. Basically, the same as AA HS hull interiors. If so, gonna be hard to find a
The picture wasn't that great, but the hull on the right was an AA HS birdshot load, 1 was a Super X 00 buck and the green 1 was a military 00 buck. The Super X and military hull look just like the Fiocchi inside except the Fiocchi is flat across the bottom whereas the Winchesters have a little nipple at the bottom at the primer pocket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I can play with spacers, but I have no experience doing that yet, so I wanted to make sure I am doing safely. So my question now is, adding spacers and over shot cards won't effect pressures? As long as I match the powder charge to the shot weight I'll be OK?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, thank you very much for your time and input. I like Bubba Rountree and I'm subscribed to his channel but I couldn't find much on #4 buck, I will look again though and I'll check out the BPI manual.
Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, I will definitely check this out. I like the sounds of the clear hulls, but I was trying to find a load using the hulls and wads that I already have. I guess I might have to buy some more components. Lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I've solved the Super X mystery.... or at least a piece of the mystery. In the attached photos you will see that on the AA hull the top of the base wad is about 45mm down, the middle hull is a Super X originally loaded with 7½ lead shot, top of base wad is also about 45mm down, the hull on the left is a Super X originally loaded with 00 buck and the top of the base wad is about 60mm down. So, I'm thinking perhaps Super X hulls loaded with birdshot are the same design as AA hulls, however Super X's loaded with buck are a straight wall hull. Any opinions on this theory?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts