Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my issue: I have quite a few different shotguns they all shoot pretty well. ThenI went out and bought a new over under (first one I ever owned) Not this gun has a high rib with the center center and muzzle beed. Acording to everyone I talk to the back beed simulates the reciever on an old style (ribless) gun were you basically would float the front beed just above the reciever, placing the target just above the beed. (make sence). Thus with a two beed arrangment you are in essence attempting to make a figure 8 just under your target.

This all seemed to make sence Untill I found I can't shoot the broadside of a very large barn using this method. I patternmed the gun from about 25 yards out on a piece of cardboard drawing a 1"circle on the cardboard. Bang! there were at least 10 beeds in the kill zone. So this must be a correct sight picture right?

However when shooting at moving targets I went from shooting a average traop score of 22 to about 11 maybe 14 if lucky. Could this be caused by an eye dominence issue?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve?

Thanks
New guy :roll:

·
Premium Member
19,750 Posts
I think that if you had a cross dominance eye problem, it would have shown up on your other guns. My guess is that you are looking at the beads trying to aim when you are shooting. This will cause you to stop your swing and miss the target. Use the middle bead only to position your gun correctly on your shoulder. When you call for the target, you should concentrate on the target and see only the front bead sort of unclearly in your field of vision. If you are still seeing the middle bead, you are doing it wrong. Again, the middle bead is not for shooting with. It's only for lining the gun up properly BEFORE you call for the bird. Personally, I don't like middle beads and remove them from any gun that I own.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a similar experience to yours. Found I was trying to aim the gun like a rifle. I was concentrating on the bead.
Use the front & rear bead to ensure you have a figure eight picture when you mount the gun. Then forget about the beads. Concentrate only on the clay target & once you do this I can almost guarantee that your scores will increase.

I took up shotgun after a long period of handgun & rifle shooting & found it very difficult to avoid using the beads as sights. Many people at our club told me that a shotgun is pointed, not aimed. I think I have finally caught on but it sure took a lot of missed targets to learn this lesson.

Hope you find it easier than I did. Rod. :)

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Eye dominance is best checked on a trap field with you standing on station 3 and the machine set to throw only relatively easy angles to the side opposite your gun mount. If there are dominance problems they will show up quickly and you will miss easy targets that you should have expected to hit.

ThAnother thing I would suggest is to determine of the stock dimensions on your gun fit you. A quick and dirty method is as follows:

Visualize or choose a target in front or you. (A picture on a wall will do nicely. If done outside, avoid choosing a neighbor's kid.)

Locate an assistant and together, confirm that the gun is unloaded.

Set up to shoot the "target" with the stance you would use if really shooting.

Close your eyes and mount the gun, pointing it at the chosen target without opening your eyes. As your gun contacts your shoulder, have the assistant notice if the entire recoil pad makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder without the bottom (toe) making contact before the upper heel.

With your eyes still closed, have your assistant move in front of you and notice if your head is tilted onto the stock or turned toward the stock. Have him/her also estimate the distance between your nose and the tuumb on your trigger-hand.

Open your eyes without moving the gun. Are you looking straight down the rib with very little if any of the top surface of the rib visable? (A figure-8 bead positioning is chosen to cause the gun to shoot a little high and provide vertical lead, primarily in trapshooting. Most other disciplines use close to a flat shooting gun.)

Notice of your neck feels strained. If it does, it indicates an incorrect stock dimension.

If all the answers and indications were correct, your gun probably comes close to correctly fitting you. If some answers or findings were less than ideal, one or more of your stock dimensions need changing to allow you to shoot a correctly fitting gun.

You should consider visiting a professional stock fitter to get dimensions changed since all can be changed when necessary.

If you can't do that, click on the following url for an alternative.
http://stockfitting.virtualave.net

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Everytime I've shot guns with middle beads it's gummed up the operation. Take the damn thing off, best way to ungum.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Think less. Use the gun as a part of your body and just shoot. It sounds very out there but if you can get it you will never have to aim a shotgun again. Point and click.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had the same problem as you and Rod B. I'm a rifleman by nature and it took me a long time to quit aiming the shotgun. Now a days when I miss a clay, I find it is because I have slipped back into aimming mode...which makes you stop the gun and shoot behind the target....AGAIN.
Ignore the bead. Glue your cheek to the stock and focus all your attention on the target...keep the gun moving.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your first problem is the way you are using the middle bead. The middle bead is there to help you keep your head down on the gun. You line the middle bead up with the front bead. If you make the figure 8 like you described you will shoot over the target. The only time you should be looking at the bead is for shooting at small targets ie. turkeys, deer, stationary targets. When you shoot flying targets your eyes should focus on the object in the air and your front sight should be in your perifial vision, used only as a reference point. As far as your eye dominance problem, I have the same thing. In order to correct it I bought a front fiberoptic sight from Tom Knapp. This sight has a sleeve on it that only allows my right eye to see it thus forcing my right eye to become dominant. I hope I have helped. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts