Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! - I picked up my new Remington 870 Police model late last week. All I can say is :shock: This baby is sweet! It's got the extended mag, 18" bbl, rifle sites, & synthetic furniture complete with sling swivels. I have a couple questions: What's the best way to store it? Is it ok to keep the gun 'cocked'? I sure do like racking the slide back and forth :D Right now, it's unloaded as I have not had a chance to clean it up and break it in yet. I was just wondering if keeping pressure on the firing pin and assembly was bad for the gun? Also, is it ok to dry-fire it? Lastly, what do you guys recommend for wiping down a parkerized finish? I put about a dozen holes in my old t-shirt and left lint all over the place just wiping it down :roll: .

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a parkerized 18" 870 Police as well (I went with the bead sight, though, as I have trouble picking up the rifle sights quickly) and I know exactly what you mean. I like my Mossberg 590, but the 870 just feels so solid compared to it.
If you haven't done it already, be sure to clean out the inside as well (that sticky grease film is everywhere). If you want to keep the shotgun hammer-back, I guess that would be fine (I haven't read anywhere that it isn't OK), but I like to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber with the tube loaded; that way, all I have to do is give it a pump and I'm ready to go and I don't have to worry about even the possibility of spring set (well, I do replace the magazine spring every year as cheap insurance).
Likewise, dry firing should be no problem.
As far as what to wipe it down with, you'll have to ask someone else, because the tiny "IMP CYL" stamp on my barrel is still white with T-shirt lint! :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recommend going to the local hunting/fishing store and buying snap caps. The are basically just a contained spring that allows 99% safe dry-firing. Load that as the chambered round (no primer or powder, so it's perfectly safe) then pull the trigger and re-engage the safety.

When you go to chamber a round the snap cap will eject like a normal 12ga round, allowing the live round to be chambered.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't like Guardian's suggestion from a safety perspective.

You might dry fire by accident twice, without replacing the Snap-Cap. KABOOM! :shock:

You might need the gun in a crisis situation and pull the trigger on a Snap-Cap. snap! :(

Buy a bunch of Snap Caps. And when you want to "practice/familiarize" unload the weapon, check the chamber, check the receiver, check the magazine. Check again. Then load a bunch of Snap-Caps in and fire away. They are also very handy, and safe if you are showing someone else (like a wife or girlfriend how to safely handle the weapon they might stumble across by accident.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess I should have been a tad more specific. The snap cap would be used for releasing tension on the trigger spring for storage. You are right about the practice part. You should never do a "dryfire practice" with any live rounds in the gun.

What I was referring to was more along the lines of:
1.Chamber the snap cap
2. Pull the trigger one time
3. Engage safety
4. Put the gun away and wait until it's needed

G

·
Any of you 870 guys think about replacing the stock with a pistol grip on your shotguns?
A full size shotgun would be a little cumbersome in a confined area.
There are a lot of options out there. Here is just one company's offerings.

www.atigunstocks.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
Accually I wouldn't bother. A "standard stock" will work fine, you just have to learn the maneuverability with it. Those nice flip open stocks are more for reducing needed storage space.

I don't really like using ay shotgun that doesn't have a full stock. The hand tends to sit in an uncomfortable position, causing poor aim, and a sore wrist.

The Standard style stock allows for a more comfortable grip, and with a little practice, you will be able to maneuver around corners just as easily as a true pistol grip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, they "look" cool but...gimme the "standar" style stock...(say THAT 10 times real fast...)
Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
i actually prefer a pistol grip on my mossberg. it is just a factory pistol grip. you can't hardly feel a thing with birdshot. when shooting buckshot i prefer the light kick on my wrist to a big jar on my shoulder. i guess i am just an odd ball.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.