Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one used a tornado to clean their barrel. Either buy hand or on their drill. What are the pros and cons to this? I think if I were to use one with a hand drill and some solvent it would get all the plastic wading out.
Pete

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
^^second that^^
The Tornado brush is looped so they work in an axial fashion.
Beside spinning them being less effective, it would maybe twist the loops down so they may not work at all. It is not that terribly hard to push them back and forth 5 or 6 times to totally scrape out the plastic build up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I tried the tornado with a drill and it broke off where it attached to the cleaning rod. Otherwise i have had good results.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
A tornado in a drill cleans choke tubes beautifully. I use them by hand in my barrels.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Tornado-type brushes are abrasive enough that Briley recommends they NOT be used in their sub-gauge tubes. I do, however, use them in the choke tubes and spin them with a drill. Works great.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have been using them for about 30 years. No problems yet. I do not use then in rifles, only shotguns. If you have a barrel that is really dirty these work wonders. I have used them with a drill, but only in extreme cases. I am a huge fan. There is a reason they are also known as a gunsmith brush.

I suppose if you were to run one with a drill for a several days non stop, you might remove .0005" of metal from the bore of the gun (although I highly doubt it), but this would represent several lifetimes of normal cleaning. Kind of like feeding rats 500 pounds of Sweet-N-Low and then proclaiming that it causes cancer.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I've got 'em in a few gauges but only go to 'em rarely. Generally, I can clean shotguns fine with a bronze brush. I do use a drill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts