Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Gold Fusion and am concerned with protecting the wood from rain and moisture. I'm not opposed to the shiney gloss finishes (the Fusion is not) but want to protect the wood and also have a good appearance. If I use a gun stock wax how do I handle the checkered area? Looking for any suggestions. Thanks, Al

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
The finish you can see does not need additional protection. It may not be super glossy, but it is a urethane type of finish and it is waterproof. It might look like hand rubbed oil, but it isn't.

What you need to protect are the parts of the stock that you cannot see. Those are the head (under the receiver) and butt (under the recoil pad) of the stock, and similar areas inside the forearm.

Those areas are almost never properly sealed by the factories. You should get some wood sealer and daub it on those areas until the stock won't soak any more. Let dry completely and re-install. This is probably best left as a summer project, as the sealer gets absorbed and dry faster.

·
Registered
950 Posts
For a couple of generations now (grandpa, dad, me, sons) the only thing we have ever put on our wood stocks is lemon oil. Works great, looks good. All our guns looks above average to excellent. Considering we use them in all kinds of inclimate weather, most people who have looked at them cannot beleive how great a shape they are considering their age. Oldest is an original 1898 Marlin lever action 45/70. Last time checked it was rated at 85% or better. Just wipe it down after every trip in the field.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts