Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
I lost them all in a boating accident.
18,042 Posts
Crossing shot said:
No one ever talks about pull away. What presentations do you use pull away on?
Nobody talks about walking, but they do it every day.

I think the vast majority of people use pull-away for 90% of target presentations.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
There are two times I use pull away. Quick quartering/trap shots, touch the front of the bird and flick the gun in front or if I've screwed up and let the bird beat me on other kinds of shots. Straight risers, I'll generally shoot swing through.

Otherwise, I shoot either maintained or diminishing lead. I find that the timing aspect required for pull away doesn't work well for the longer or more technical targets that we're seeing more and more of these days.

Of course, this is just me. I can't speak for anyone else but it's important to be able to shoot all the techniques. Why take tools out of your bag?

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I started shooting Sporting Clays I used the swing through method. It didn't take me long to figure out that swing through doesn't work on dropping targets.

So now I use the pull away lead on any target that is dropping or arching down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a close slow crossing looping clay on its side. It fooled me. It was inside 20 yards. Probably didn't require a lead. Just pace it on the leading edge. Figure if that doesn't work, try pull away.

Long quartering shots give me trouble also.

·
Registered
8,556 Posts
It's really an issue of different strokes for different folks; what works for me won't necessarily work for you. Some use PA on the majority of targets, others only use it for one, others don't use it at all. TBT (Time Behind Trigger) will set up your own methodologies.

I personally use it most often for long, big-window targets; long incomers, droppers and long crossers. But absolutely YMMV...

·
Registered
27,021 Posts
Besides some of the above, I seem to use it on distant rabbits - at least that's what my sqaudmates keep seeing me do -

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Wow! Anthony M. Jr... Only American World Sporting Champion, and most decorated American World FITASC shooter with at least 3 maybe 4 podium finishes, and certainly still at the top of his game, teaches and shoots his system, with pull away being his anchor method. He comes home from London and Italy, with a World title in sporting, and a silver medal in FITASC, trades his gun for his fishing rod, doesn't fire even one shot til Southeastern this past week end, an wins the thing with a 99 on a very tough final course on Sunday . Seems it is a go to solid method. Yet you guys don't seem to think it is worth mastering. And how an instructor can say it's only usable on one presentation baffles me. Zack, Desi, and others aren't doing too bad with it either.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
Seems to me that all methods are worth learning.

There are top shooters who say they never use pull away. They disdainfully call it "gun dragging." They are so disdainful that it sounds like they are saying the users of pull away are really dressed in drag , which sounds mean to me , but I'm an old white guy and never know when I am hurting someone's feelings.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
1redvette said:
pete blakeley said:
Acceletating droppers like edge on teal. That's all.
I was referring to this. Quite different than what Illini said.
I am not his apologist or do I even know him. Also I dont use his method either. But I still interpret what he said the way I wrote it. I could be wrong I would speculate that we will find out.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The UK guys are chuckling at this thread.

Sera has it right learn all the methods (more than 3 btw). Learn to read the target and apply the optimal method for THAT target

This weekend after a coaching session, I sent out a student to practice by shooting all 4 methods he knows on every target on one course and have him work out which works best FOR HIM.

Each method is very good for some targets, :D and very bad on others :shock:

Try it, it is enlightening

Roger

Roger

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
No great or even good shooter would shoot only one or two methods. And nobody is stupid enough to say they did. But, you can rest assured that if you get on this forum, there are a bunch of people that can't shoot a lick that will twist everything you say.
And the UK guys just got their asses handed to them!!!! So I don't think chuckling would be in order!

·
Registered
20,521 Posts
I use pull-away quite often on a variety of shots. The main advantage of pull-away is that it allows the shooter to 1) match the speed and line of the target and 2) pull in front to obtain the desired lead and 3) avoid stopping the gun.

If you're "pulling away", then you're not likely to stop the gun just before you pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.