Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the people i hunt with think that pump guns are not "gentlemans guns" whatever that means. Do any you out there agree with this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that they were commenting on the fact that there side by sides and over and unders cost more and were fancier than my less expensive 870 wingmaster.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the pump is the "working mans" gun. it was cheaper and worled when u were duck hunting in the cold and wet. the o/u and sxs were more expensive so only rich people could afford them

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I personally don't agree about that, seeing as though I have an 870 express[lesser grade than yours]and I think it's a great gun.

The question is who shoots better :wink: ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
clayshooter25/25 said:
The question is who shoots better :wink: ?
Amen.... I get tickled when I use my Rem. 1100 in 20 ga. and beat the guy with a $5000 skeet gun at the 27 yard line at the range. :D LOL.....

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I've always thought gentlemens gun meant you only had two shot's no matter the action. Being more sporting because you didn't take the third hale mary shot at 60 yards.

It only matters to them. I wouldn't sweat it. Just take the $4700 you saved by getting a pump and practice then shoot everything out of the sky.

Tweedy Bastards, I might have to find new hunting partners.

You should invite GordonSetter on a hunt with you and them and watch when they get a load of Gordo busting out his Saiga for a little pheasant hunt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think there are those that buy a shotgun to DO something with it and there are those who buy a shotgun to SHOW something.
If I buy a gazillion dollar model, everone will think I am great AND I may be able to have some of that Heritage rub off on me...
I think there is SOME merit in the better shotguns (hey, they may have better wood, better metalurgy, better quality control, better asthetics, better ergonomics) but as said above...when it comes down to it its GOTTA be sweet showin' up the poseurs with an inexpensive shotgun...it's the shooter more than the weapon...my .02
Bill

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree with all the posts. Also, there are different grades of pumps. However, to me, a "gentleman's gun" would be one shot by an actual gentleman, or a lady. As I define it, such a person would never be so ill-manned as to look down upon someone because they shoot this or that kind of gun. In my experience, rich guys are not always gentlemen, any more than those who have less money to spend on a shotgun at the moment are somehow to be regarded as lesser beings or some such nonsense. That said, really new trends in sporting arms take a bit of getting used to. I admit I did ask Gordon Setter sort of a cultural question about his Saiga--I'm hoping to get to shoot one soon though, at which point you never know what will happen. To his great credit, Gordon gave me a gentlemanly answer. Change is healthy!

Also, consider that someone who's a real gentleman may love his beautiful old L.C. Smith side by side. He may love to talk about it. He may spend all his shooting time with it. It doesn't--shouldn't--follow that he therefore sneers at whatever you are shooting. If a guy loves his wife, it doesn't mean that he hates other women. Just likes the one he's with the best.

I think loving your shotgun is important. Can you only love someone if they have expensive tastes and were born rich? Of course not. So, you can love any old shotgun to which you happen to take a shine, even if it's just a beat-up bolt action 20 ga that your pop gave you for Christmas in 1964. It's the love that's important, not the gun itself.

Just my touchy-feely .02
:)
Jeff 23

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jeff took the words right out of my mouth. You'll find that it's the body behind the gun that matters more than the gun itself :D

Like Clayshooter, I've also had the wonderful of experience of outshooting a fellow with a $5000 custom-made Spanish SxS with my trusty old base model Beretta 391. I've never seen a guy pack his guns up so quickly and take off! :lol:

Whatever you do, don't get intimidated by the $$$ they've put into their guns. Just get better with yours, and you'll find that they'll have less and less to criticize!

·
Registered
17,955 Posts
Somehow it still comes back to snobery doesn't it? It is just as poor manners to gloat when you have a beater and outshoot someone who has a "nice" gun as the other way arround. Most of my life I've been in the "cheap gun" class! I could afford to buy one of those high-dollar shotguns, but, I really don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself. I still like my Model 12s, I have several, some the Browning reproductions. Mine are shooters, not lookers. Not beaters, just shooters. This past few years I have bought a few "more expensive" shotguns. Three are O/Us and one is a single barreled Trap model. At the time I couldn't believe I was actually spending $1400 on a shotgun?? The are danged nice to me, but still just pretty common compared to a K-80! Gentelmen are gentelmen regardless of what they shoot. Snobs are too! IF I had a megabuck shotgun and got my tail kicked, which I am used to by the way, by someone shooting a NOVA or Mossy or Express, I'd compliment them on thier shooting and offer to buy them a coke and wish them well! I remember as a kid hunting with out of staters who came up with thier fancy guns and fancy pants and fancy dogs and struggled to keep up when I was wearing a pair of jeans with holes in the knees, an old corduary coat and a runt of the litter Black lab carrying an old Model 42. I got lots more pheasants than they did, but, they didn't come to my neck of the woods to be insulted by a smartass kid. They just complimented me on my skill and I graciously accepted and kept on hunting, so did they! A gentelman's gun is whatever a gentelman is shooting at the time!

BP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, i think i'll add my .02. I have a 870 Express in 20ga. and it is very nice. I hunt alot and it takes some rough weather and use. However, at my trap club i like to whip up on the guys shootin' big $$$ guns. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a better gun. I took 3rd at the Clays-for-Kids shoot with my pump. Some people told me that i would give up 15 or so birds by shooting a pump 20 ga. , but if you practice that really doesn't happen.

-------------------------------------------------------------
as the DC says: "if he flies... he dies."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've only been coming to this site for a few days, and have only been a registered user for a few short hours, but in the short time that i've beencoming here, one sentance truly stands out. Please forgive me for not being able to give credit where credit is due, but here it is : "When one gun is all you have, then one gun is all you need." When i read that, I realised how much that sentance pertained to me. I, personally, always try my very best to be a gentleman. On the sporting clays course, while shooting traps, or in the backwoods on a deer hunt. One thing remains the same. My 870 Express magnum has been consistant, and and it hasn't let me down yet. My " lowly " pump gun is all i have, and while it's not as fancy as other guns costing 5 times as much, this one gun is all i need. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here in my neck of woods (Philippines), gentleman's gun falls within the context that Jlptexashunter just mentioned: only 2 shots...

Thus, even those who have "different" pieces load only 2 though their mag cap can accommodate more.

Correct or not, that's our understanding of the concept (not to mention that hunting is the "ultimate in gentleman's sport"!).

Ithabrown

1 - 14 of 14 Posts