Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to skeet shooting and I have been using a Mossberg 500 but have been having some trouble with the second shot on the doubles. I have been thinking about going with a auto but what do you think? Is the semi-auto worth the extra $$$? And if so, what is the best for under $500 (new or used)?

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I would say go with a remington 1100 used.

Used it should be around $300.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with the Auto. With the reliability of today's auto's you can't go wrong. I was a huge advocate of pumps until I actually spent some time hunting and shooting Trap and Skeet with an auto. Man what a difference, especially on the Trap and Skeet range. The biggest difference is the amount of felt recoil, with the new gas operated semi auto's having so much less. In my opinion, pumps are a dieing breed. Seems most manufactures are focousing much of their emphasis on autos now, IMHO for a good reason.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Clayshooter is right on the mark with that one. 1100 can be had for a pretty good price in great condition used and also has a ton of accessories and loads it can shoot.

·
Registered
827 Posts
AMEN on the auto . after u shoot a auto for awhile youl never go back to the pump. or at least i havent anyway lol

·
Premium Member
19,741 Posts
WOW :!: :!: What a change in attitudes about autos versus pump guns in only one month on this board. :!: It was only about one month ago that I was advocating the auto instead of the pump gun for clays/skeet shooting and I got villified by all the pump gun advocates. Many of them claimed (incorrectly) that the pump gun was as fast or faster than the auto and that the pump was much more reliable than the auto.

Now, the pump gun advocates are nowhere to be found. While the pump gun is a sturdy and simple tool, it actually requires more skill to use rapidly than does the auto. It appears (based on the answers above) that some readers on this board are starting to realize that. :lol:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I still like pumps best, although I only shoot clays informally. My Ithaca 37 is, to me, the best shotgun in the world, wouldn't have it any other way :) Also I'd wager it's at least as fast as an auto, because I can slam fire it if I really need to. I'm a Luddite though--I like old stuff better just because it's old :lol: I'm always in full retreat from the cutting edge, especially where my hobbies are concerned.

That said, go700j, I'm sure the others are right about the answer to your original question, and you should follow their advice. Ulysses is right, too, about the sentiment swinging toward autos. I've noticed it myself.

Best,

Jeff23

·
Registered
173 Posts
I guess it all depends on how much your going to get involved in the sport. If your just going to shoot skeet once in a while, stay with your pump, "BUT" if your going to start shooting on a regular basis, and you might want those few extra birds per round to count, go with the semi for sure! Remington 1100 or 11-87 would be an excellent choice!!! good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started with a pump, also a mossy, and then went to an auto loader. My consistency improved dramatically. I would recommend going with the auto over the pump and the rem 1100 is a great gun for the price. ---AFG

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am going to have to agree that the Auto is the hands down est today for both hunting and clays. I have been a Pump shotgun man for over 30 years but I am totaly sold on the newer gas autos. Fast, Low recoil, and great for awkward angles when duck hunting. Now here is the controversial statement: I have seen as many jams with pumps as autos. Yes, I have and it usually occurs by "short-shucking" (not pumping all the way.). This can cause jams as the new shell feeds into the action and the old shell is not thrown out by the bad pumping. I think (just my opinion) that it is more common in the bottom ejectors like the BPS and Ithaca 37. Again this problem is usually caused by the shooter whereas jamming in autos is usually poor cleaning/maintenance or shooting loads that are too light for the gun.
I have been converted to autos but I still use my 870 on occasion and I also like an over & under for clays.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You can get an 870 to jam by short pumping it or pumping it slowly. You end up with one shell in the carrier and another partway in the carrier--it's a pain to get it out. You're right though, if you work the pump with some authority it's much less likely to jam.

·
Registered
116 Posts
go700j said:
Is the semi-auto worth the extra $$$? And if so, what is the best for under $500 (new or used)?
Worth the extra $$$? - Yes

Budget around $500? - Look for a Remington 1100, Beretta 390. or Stoeger 2000 either new or used. The 1100 and 390 will have less felt recoil because they use a gas system. I personally like the Beretta 390 the best in a gas gun, but the 1100 is a good gun too.

Regards,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you every one for posting. I used a 1100 a few days ago and it jamed on me twice with my hand loads. I think that the hulls were not resized right and I was told that that was the problem. Is it common to have semi-autos jam like this? My pump does not jam with the same loads so I am wondering if it is a problem with semi-autos. If it is a problem with the resizing, would a o/u have the same problem?

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jeff23 said:
I'm always in full retreat from the cutting edge, especially where my hobbies are concerned.
Are you moderating this forum from an old IBM 286 with windows 3.1 and netscape. :lol: :lol:

J/King No offense intended .... I have the same disease on certain things ... Microwave ovens are evil, but microwave cell phones towers are fantastic.

My computer is close to cutting edge but I prefer dirt camping to hotel camping.

Guess we all have some genetic propensity to hang on to the old even if the new is more efficient or comfortable.

BTW, I still love my beater Winchester Model 1300.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you are still asking for opinions, stick with pumps. While I have been known to short shuck on the skeet field once or twice, I have never jammed two in the carrier, although I have seen it happen with a Browning BPS. My short shuck woes are attibuted to a Benelli Nova 12 which seems to have a longer stroke to to it's 3.5" mag capacity. Model 12's and 870's are flawless.

Auto's in general can be picky about different types of loads and will pee the bed at the most inappropriate times ! In fairness, I have friends that reload and have found loads in which the auto's opperate flawlessly.

Pumps are pretty much bomb proof. If you are are a fan of things from the past, there is no finer pump than a Winchester Model 12. Heck my parents named me after them ! :D

With practice, I assure you that your pump speed will not be a factor.

The only problem I have found once I fell in love with pumps and have shot them for years is that I look like like an idiot as I try to pump my o/u's on doubles !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts