Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until today I used autos only, but , things change. Yesterday, I was using a borrowed auto and the gun would not eject the shells. I missed alot of doves because of it but since I have a shotgun just like it and it shoots great I defended it by saying the owner didn't clean it often. Well today I used my shotgun and about half way through the hunt the gun jammed which is unusual. I tried to unjam the gun but the bolt was stuck about half way back. I have tried everything to fix it but it is still stuck. So I have gave up on all but the best semi's which I can't afford. I am looking for a good pump gun up to $500.00 (no mossbergs)

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Remington 870 is a great gun but get the Wingmaster. Another good gun is the Bennelli nova. Any of those guns are great.
Seeing as though you are not new to shotguns you should know what I mean by gun fit, buy the gun that fits you best.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here would be my choices in a pump:

1. Benelli Nova
2. Ithaca 37
3. Browning BPS
4. 870 Wingmaster

All are very good pumps, I prefer the Nova over the other 3 based on personal fit, balance, and function. I think the Nova is the fastest shucking pump gun I've ever shot, and probably the easiest to strip and clean (no tools needed to completely disassemble it). If I wanted something in wood, it would be a hard decision between the other 3.

Regards,

G

·
The Browning BPS is an awful nice looking and shooting pump gun. With the invector 2 choke system it seems to do a good job of delivering the right patterns for the choke. I do not know the price, but it is a classy gun. Pumps sweet after it is broken in also.

G

·
Aw, Come on now...
If one has to ask "what pump should I by"...
Get a Mossberg 500 Field Combo!!! :D
(and keep a couple hundred bucks$$$ in your pocket for fun)

Just cant beatem! I have more expensive shotguns, but still like and use my mossberg 500 field combo quite a bit... especiall for the backwood boonies, thickets, thistles and thorns...
The combo comes with 2 barrels (usually 28" VR and 3 choke tubes, and a 18.5 Cyl plain bead) and pistol grip - all for the price less than a Rem 870 and no accessories...

The Mossy 500 has more after market parts and barrels, and a at a better price too!!! Get a blue, wood combo and it i'll take everywhere from an Executive trap shoot to keepin bear oua the backwood cabin (with the shortbarrel and slug)!

Yea, I like/have Hi-end shotguns, but i've given all other pumps up for my mossy 500 combo... If i had to have just one shotgun, i'd keep the the case with the mossy 500 combo and two barrels in it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guest, You forgot to mention that you can also use a mossberg to "rattle" in the deer. Dont get me wrong, the Mossberg will get the job done, however there just is nothing like using a Quality shotgun. I perfer autoloaders and use a beretta 99% of the time, however just this last friday, I grabbed my BPS for a walk out on the dove fields. IMO, I would rate the pumps as Benelli Nova, Browning BPS, Winchester 1300, Remington 870, I have owned and used all of these pump guns and use past personal experience to rate them in that order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts