Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a benelli nova 12 or a beretta 391 extrema for duck and goose hunting. any thoughts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
My first thought is BUY BOTH. Both are great guns. Hard to compare. What do you like to shoot? I own both pump and semi guns. Use the pump (12 ga) for turkey and waterfowl if I'm going to be up to my *** in cold water and mud. I use the semi (20ga) for upland, jumpshooting waterfowl and clays.

Eventually you will own both. Then the break actions will start calling your name and soon you'll have a cabinet full.

That's the beauty of shotguns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already own a 12 ga silver pigeon II and a standard 12 urika but just for the up coming season I need the flak cannon for high flying honkers and specks.Right now I'm leaning to the nova because of the price and recomendation from buddies.I also want something that can take alot abuse.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
great choice I think that Nova is the future of pump guns.
Tell me how it goes this season

·
Registered
518 Posts
If I had to pick just one, I would, and do, opt for the pump, simply because you can throw it in the mud and it will still shuck 'em through. You can't say that with autos. I've seen so many of my friends with autos fiddling with them in the blind trying to get them to work right while I'm shooting birds with my 870 or BPS pump. It's not a totally objective opinion, but it is one based on experience.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have hunted with pumps (Win 1300, BPS, 870) for over twenty years with very few problems. This year I have purchased a new Browning Gold semi, so I'll let you now how it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just bought a Benelli 12ga SBE for my 40th birthday.
It's used for waterfowl hunting only.
The Benelli is working great.
The cost was high but so far it was worth it.
The SBE fits well and is very smoth shooting.
I still have my 870mag.
The 870 will now be used for deer hunting.
I'am switching between 3" and 3.5" shells for now.
Four birds on opening day.
I will try to let you know at end of season how it preformed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
jlptexashunter said:
great choice I think that Nova is the future of pump guns.
Tell me how it goes this season
Jeff, do you have one of the Novas? If you do would you bring it out the next time we hunt? I have been thinking about buying one, and would like the opportunity to shoot a few rounds through one before I make my final decision. (sorry about hijacking the thread, but I was just discussing the nova with a coworker)

John

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have both. Preference is for the Xtrema. Balance and swing seems better. Durable build, simple as go autos. The main difference will be the feel in your shoulder after a day of 3.0" or 3.5" hevishot loads at odd angles. The Nova, even with the recoil absorber added in the stock, will not counter the sting of heavy waterfowl loads. The Xtrema absorbs a good bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used both actions and I am a pump man. I have a Browning A-5 "Sweet 16" FN that sees little to no use (I only break it out for the dove opener with my snobby friends), an 1100 Remmy, a Winny 1200 pump and a venerable High Std. "Flight King" pump. I have NEVER had either pump jam up while both autos have, (albeit RARELY) hung up on me. To each their own, I simply prefer the rugged simplicity of the trombone!

·
Registered
57 Posts
go with the Nova, great shotgun.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a Nova 12 that I use exclusively for duck hunting ( just got back in from a spectacular hunt over the weekend). I installed the recoil comp. as I use 3 1/2 mags. I absolutely love it.

With that said, I am about settled in my decision to purchase a Winchester SUper X2 Greenhead. While the Nova operates flawlessly ( It gave me my first triple yesterday....3 shells, three ducks!) , I want any advantage I can get my hands on when teal come zipping through at mach 2.

Will I still utilize the Nova ? You bet !!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
For the price of the Extrema, you can own two dedicated purpose Nova's - how bout a 20ga 26" for small game, upland, doves, and a 28" duck/goose blind gun with the recoil reducer installed? BTW have you ever disassembled the 391/extrema for a thorough cleaning? It is a rather complex task from what I've read.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have owned and hunted waterfowl with a beretta 390 for about 6 years and I have never had any problem with it. It is an extremely fast and reliable gun. I say if you can afford a beretta buy a beretta.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I already have two (687SPII and a 391 Urika). But I have already bought and used a nova and it's a wonderful gun I highly reccomend it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Depends how you are going to hunt. If you are going to hunt like a typical hunter and be lazy and never leave the blind or boat, then a semi auto will do fine. But if you are going to hunt like a real duck hunter and get in the mud, you are going to want a pump. If you do get a semi, go with the benelli SBE. I don't know a whole lot about the xtrema, but they seem like good guns. But for the price of my 870, I have put it through hell, and it still cuts em.

Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts