1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20GA winchester model 1200 pump and I have a problem

my problem is it will not cycle low brass consistently
it will however cycle high brass with no problem
what happens is when I pump it back it will go back about 1/4 of an inch and then refuse to go any further
this does not do this on every round more like every other round however if I move the pump back and porth a few times it will USUALY eject the round
sometimes it will refuse to eject until the point where I have struggled with it so much that the hook piece that grips the rim of the brass to extract the shell (don't know the proper name) will actuly start to bend back the rim of the brass and dig into it

Is this a common problem?

Does this mean my gun is broken and needs to be fixed or does it mean I should only use high brass?

·
Premium Member
19,997 Posts
More than likely it means that the barrel chamber needs polishing. Remove barrel from gun. Wrap 00 steel wool around a brass bore brush or chamber brush and chuck this into your electric drill. Use a little lightweight oil and polish on medium speed for approx 15 minutes, working the brush back and forth in the chamber. Clean the gun, reassemble, and try it again. Also, switching to Win AA or Rem STS shells will probably cure the problem, but polishing the chamber should enable you to use any shell you want of the proper gauge.

·
Registered
482 Posts
net, what brand of shells are you shooting? Are the cases brass or look like alloy? The reason I ask is that I have the same problem with my 80's vintage 20ga 870. After a few rounds the cheaper cased shells (especially Winchesters) they expand and get stuck in the chamber. There seems to be two schools of thought on this forum regarding this problem. One is try different brands to see if others do the same thing. Number two is to polish the chamber. I switched to Remington Nitro Clays and have had no further problems. Hope this helps & good shooting......

·
Registered
482 Posts
Seems Ulysses beat me to the post!!!!!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never actualy shot low brass through the gun I have only shot high brass and slugs through it however I have recently purchased two boxes of low brass winchester super speed Xtra 7 1/2 shot game loads and a box of low brass remington 6 shot game loads and I have not shot them yet I have just loader them up and cycled through them and noticed they are not cycling properly

I have not shot them yet because it's gun season in michigan for deer right now and every time I am out in the woods lately I have been deer hunting and you know how well deer are attracted to the sound of gun shots

I bought them because I will be small gaming once gun season and muzzleloading season are over

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I've had a 20 gauge 1200 pump youth model (my sons) for twenty-one years and it's ate all kinds of ammo without a hitch. I'm guessing it either needs a good cleaning or somehow your chamber got rough and need to be polished. 8)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found a quick fix
I wraped a band of electric tape around the outside of the shell just in front of the brass to up the outside diameter to more closely resemble that of a highbrass and it cycles fine

so with this fixing the problem for the time being does this change any thoughts on what the problem at hand is

(even though this fixes it it is kinda *******)

edit: ok i take that back it "kinda" works

and if this helps any in the back of the chamber there are some hook looking things and it kind of seems like they are what's catching on the rim of the shell holding it in

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
look at it this way
if a round is chambered (weather fired or not) and I try to pump it to empty the chamber the pump catches on something and won't go all the way back to extract the round from the chamber but this only happens with low brass

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
What part of the 'low brass' is getting hung and where?

It should be pretty evident as to where the 'catch' is as the 'brass' will show scratches or deformation...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Salmoneye said:
What part of the 'low brass' is getting hung and where?

It should be pretty evident as to where the 'catch' is as the 'brass' will show scratches or deformation...
I don't know how to describe it but in the back of the chamber there are four ramp looking things on the sides that look like they are what is catching and they are catching on the edge of the brass rim of the shell

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I am stumped without being able to see it...

There is no reason unfired ammo should not cycle flawlessly...I'd have it looked at...

Taping every shell is not a 'solution'...

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
quite:I don't know how to describe it but in the back of the chamber there are four ramp looking things on the sides that look like they are what is catching and they are catching on the edge of the brass rim of the shell

Those are the barrel locking lugs/there a match set(male?) on the front part of the bolt. This is what locks the bolt into the barrel during battery (when the guns ready to shoot).
These really aren't part of the chamber but just before it, could be you have a burr or something hanging on to the front part of the brass on the shell.

:idea: Run your fingers over the point of the lugs to see if you can find a burr or sharp spot that cause your shells to hangup?
Polishing this area and the chamber still might be your best bet? if not that then a gunsmith! :)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wb said:
Those are the barrel locking lugs/there a match set(male?) on the front part of the bolt. This is what locks the bolt into the barrel during battery (when the guns ready to shoot).
These really aren't part of the chamber but just before it, could be you have a burr or something hanging on to the front part of the brass on the shell.

:idea: Run your fingers over the point of the lugs to see if you can find a burr or sharp spot that cause your shells to hangup?
Polishing this area and the chamber still might be your best bet? if not that then a gunsmith! :)
thanks that's what I was talking about

well I felt them and 2 of them on the left side do feel kind of sharp whereas the others have a kind of rounded feel to them
this may explain it

I'm just wondering why it dosen't affect high brass

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
thanks that's what I was talking about

well I felt them and 2 of them on the left side do feel kind of sharp whereas the others have a kind of rounded feel to them
this may explain it

I'm just wondering why it dosen't affect high brass[/quote]

It's been awhile since I've messed with the 1200 but if I remember right the tops of the barrel lugs are real smooth and rounded on my son's gun and we shot low brass almost exclusively with it.
:idea:Just an after thought; check where the ejector spring fits into the barrel (right side) and make sure that's smooth too, don't really think it can cause a problem but it's right there where it could? :?

·
Registered
11,096 Posts
Well, the shells that you describe using and cycling recently (Rem Game Loads) have changed the case heads from brass to brass-plated steel. I noticed this when I resized them with an awfully lot more effort. A simple check showed what the "problem" was.

This just MIGHT be the cause of your problem if you have shells at the maximum spec dimension, and a chamber sized at minimum spec dimensions.

BobK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts