Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I always look for more interesting targets to shoot. One time when I shot a coffee can with a deer slug it blew of the bottom and all of one side and the can went straight up into the air about 15 feet! We could never reproduce this though. :( I also shot a very old rusty can full of creamed corn. hehehe The last interesting thing I shot was a pig skull. It was just sitting with pride on top of a manure pile and I blasted it with a #8 out of a full choke. We couldn't find any pieces of significant size. Now I am looking at old pumpkins (complete with innards). I was wondering which would have a more explosive effect. 3" magnum 20 gauge #5 or 20 gauge deer slugs. Also what do you guys shoot that is entertaining to watch the effects? -Chris

·
Registered
263 Posts
Umm Watermelons are fun. I've shot the backboard of my old basketball goal (in a fit of madness). Umm i shot a fishtank once (without the fish in it but with water). Browning, The Best there is because second best is well...second best.

·
Registered
541 Posts
when I was younger we had a gravel pit we used to go to and dad would let me take toys and old models out and blow the hell out of them. Now I take my sons toys that make ALL the noises and DON'T have an off switch.........The feeling you get after shooting a tickle me Elmo (that keeps you up all night cause you all you can hear is "hehehe that tickles".) and hearing his laughing get all screwy and then die.......okay I am sick and need help cause I murdered Elmo and had a mile long gin on my face for a week. take my house,ok...my truck,mabey...my guns,NEVER!

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Kids toy Cell Phone (Fisher Price). I can highly recommend this little toy. We hated it because it was loud as heck and made several different irritating noises. I shot it twice with a .22...still worked. Next I shot it twice with a .38...still worked. Very aggravated at this point so I shot it with one Winchester 7 1/2's 12ga. ....stopped working. My hats off to you Fisher Price!regards,Jay GentryShotgunworld.comP.S. Next time it's the toy beeper. Shotgunworld.comEdited by: Shotgunworld at: 11/12/02 12:24:58 am

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
From personal experience the slugs just pass through and didn't really have the desired effect, however the load of 5's should make a nice mess.Any of the 5 food groups are great fun....freeze some milk jugs full of water and shoot those with slugs! There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I really want to shoot one of those elmo dolls, just after hearing the TV advert. I had some fun a while ago with shooting stuff, with winchester 12 gauge 3 inch steel shot #4-computer motherboard @20 feet-clean hole, nice pattern, overall shredded it pretty goodpiece of 3/4 inch plywood @20 ft.nice 3 inch hole, tore the plywood in half.horrible country christmas CD in original case @ 10ft.nothing left but the front paper insert. nice pattern, could almost tell what kind of wad they use :)tough computer keyboard, using winchester 3 inch #4 Buckshot at 30ftKeys went flying, nice big dents all over, bent and destroyed. numerous steel cans, old speakers, other junk @10 ftshredded nicelyheavy sheet metal, old computer cases - 3inch 1 and 1 1/8 oz. slugsnice clean 3/4 hole !log in the woodpile, endgrain, @ 6 feet- 3inch, winchester 1 1/8 rifled slug-had to split the log to find the slug, slug penetrated 6 inches and was deformed into a spiral shape, wad was found 4 inches into the log, somewhat deformed, but still intact.From this "testing" (goofing around), I would say, if you really want to annilate something, use 3 inch shells, and a distance of 10 to 30 feet There was a "pumpkin carving" contest at work recently, and I was really temped to try carving one with my shotgun :)A friend told me that 2 liter pop bottles are really fun to shoot, havent tried that though..Happy shotgunning- Chad_E

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
THE place to go for cheap targets is a dollar general store, a Save-A-Lot, a Big Lots...or a dented grocery closeout place....any of them have cheap cans of all sorts of things. I HATE hominy and found several of the huge gallon tubs of that crap, left it sitting in the hot sun till they swole up and then put the 6.5 to them.....shaving cream is another good one. AND for a meer $10 you can get a 3gal tub of chitterlings......pig innards!! With the pumpkins, fill them up with liquid first. The seeds sit in an inside area that is mostly hollow, I bet if you get some water or something inside one it will rupture like a fat grape! There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
Note to self:Sometime in the future sponsor an "Annual Shoot 'em Up" contest for whackos on our Forum. Invite shotgunners to come shoot various objects. Ideas:1. AOL CD Trap style shoot.2. Shoot Your Kids Favorite Video Tape. (qualifying tapes would have to have been watched at least 100 times in the last 101 days)3. Pumpking/Watermelon Toss (Skeet style). Gallager makes a fortune with just a sledgehammer...we're going to be rich!4. "Little Old Lady's Car Long Range Slug Fest". (How do we find a Plymouth Valiant still intact...obituaries?)5. Loud-*** Toy Shoot (Sporting Clays style). 2nd Note to self:Ask those twisted and sick people on the Forum to suggest some ideas, but make sure you edit it before you copy and paste it. Use 'helpful' and 'innovative' instead of 'sick and twisted'. Jay G. Shotgunworld.com

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
Whackos?? You make that distinction and we havent even covered any of the flammable items!! There is a reason they tell you not to shoot empty propane cylinders.A Valiant.....maybe a Pinto or a Falcon. Junker cars run couple of hundred at the junkyard, $50 from the right lil ol lady.A water heater filled with water and some red dye? That one will get some attention. There is a fine line between a hobby and insanity.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How about wifes checkbook and credit card shootFull soda cans tossed six to seven feet above and in front of a friend is nice, (nice and wet)How about Barney the Dino stuffed animal meets Sabot the SlugFull bean cans heated up are good tooOne fun thing we WI whackos did was to have a charity Osama shoot. You brought your fav gun (no shot allowed or rifles above 22LR) and you paid 5 bucks for six shots. They setup seven or eight 10ft high Osama heads and let you shoot him from 20ft away. All money went to the Sept 11th fund. I used my 44 Ruger Super RedhawkI bet we could launch a moped Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
541 Posts
forget using the american cars go to a police impound lot find one of those souped-up rice grinders, I know alot of people that would pay $50 bucks to have at it, My first target would be the muffler/exhuast tip. you know they have a 1/2" pipe from the cat leading to the 5" tip.It would also be fun to line up 20 or 30 people and take aim at SCGirls puter and all fire at the same time.any of my wifes video tapes that have been shown on Lifetime more than twice in one month.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hehehe Thanks for all the responses, guys (and gals)! You all have some interesting ideas. Actually, they remind me of some of the stuff I have shot. One time my friend had this old radio and tape deck that we got to shoot. (I was using my Ruger 10/22.) It was also fun when we got to shoot old dishes (plates, cups, etc.). This friend lives on a farm so we just set the plates on the edge of their trash wagon, and all the pieces fell inside. I will probably take out that pumpkin this weekend. So I will tell you all how it goes.-Chris

·
Registered
985 Posts
For this one you need to live in a state that allows fireworks, big ones. We took a round grill cover from a Webber grill. Put a 1/4 stick under it and KABOOM it flew about 45 to 50 feet up. So we grabed a few guns and tried to hit it as much as possible on the way down. It lasted for about five launches. I suppose if fireworks are not allowed in your state you can rig a sling shot. Let the dog hunt the birds, ... you hunt the dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I work for the railroad, and I get what are called Torpedos. They are pressure sensitive explosives that you put on the rail for a signal to warn trains of something ahead...You put them out a ways on a 4x4 and start shooting, trust me, you will know when you hit them...it is incredible...

G

·
many great ideas, The best one I ever did was a full Propane cylinder. Shot it at 100 meters, with my M1A, then second shot with incendiary round, WOW! Don't even think about doing this one at a shorter distance.
Would also recomend wife's Jane Fonda step aerobics. kit. Not as spectacular as the propane, but almost as satisfying!
P.S. one more thing, the propane was the one pounder. do it at your own risk. I just didn't want anyone to think I was talking about the 40 pound gas grill bottles. I don't have the cajones for that one!

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
One time at band camp....... :roll:

or I heard of a guy that took some of those small CO2 cylinders like the ones used in BB pistols and shot them with .22s. and he said they sometimes just vanished.

Shooting anything that may go boom, rupture, or has a warning to the contrary is obviously at YOUR own risk.

Cheap canned cokes or old beer, left in the back of the truck in warm weather and then shaken vigorously prior to be plinked at can make some impressive launches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't had much experience other that old cans of paint with a 22, and cantaloupes with 870 3" BB, but I did see a good one on Real Tv awhile back. Teenagers in Cal. had taken a 20lb propane cylinder into a vacant sand pit and were shooting at it. I say shooting at it because they were standing OUT IN THE OPEN, no cover, and after multiple shots managed to put one into the valve neck. This produced a shooting flame probably close to 40 ft long. Nimrod was extremely lucky to hit it there and not blow the tank itself up. As a medical professional I can imagine the shrepnel effects it could have produced. Ya know what they say "Young, dumb, and full......." (But I do have to give it to em, nice visual effect :lol: )

1 - 20 of 55 Posts