Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were hunting switch glass last week with my two year old shorthair Jane and the one year old Abby. They were both doing fine when I noticed that Abby was covered with blood when she ran by.
I call her over and she had a 3 cm cut just above the paw on her L rear leg. It was at least 1 cm deep and bleeding profusely. I tied my hankerchief around it to slow the bleeding and took her back to my truck where we inspected it and found it to be more than we could handle.
Off to the vet for emergency surgery. They put her out and found that she had lacerated the flexor tendons and had almost cut her entire lower pad and foot off!
She got a cast on her leg keeping her foot immobilized and I have to try to keep it dry when she goes outside to the bathroom.
I bought $150 of XL dog boots trying to fine one that would fit over her cast so I could keep it dry. None of them would fit.
I finally took my GoreTex socks and tape one of them over her cast when she goes outside. It's a pain, but it's a lot better than the alternative.
I don't know what I would have done if I would have lost her, she's such a sweet and loving dog.
We think that she cut it on some tin in the switch grass from a barn that was destroyed by a tornado a few years ago! We have hunted this field for several years and never had a problem before.
I guess that's way it goes! I just hope that she heals up without any problems and is able to move okay on that foot.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm glad your girl is doing alright. I always find it amazing how incredibly high a pain tolerance dogs have when they are in the field. Your story serves as a nice reminder to pay close attention to our dogs because they may be seriously injured, but just want to keep going!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.