Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from ND. and NE. for their pheasant season openers.

Two pups, just over a year old. One GWP, the other a Britt/Wymie mix. They and the less than two year old Spinone/Irish Terrier mix did good. It was his second year, he made the trip last year as an 8 month old, two weeks after we got him as a rescue dog. He holds a point a little longer this year, but one still has to keep him close and react to his point quite quickly!

But that is actually the way, I want my dogs, never out of shotgun range, and to flush the bird when I arrive or release them. No sense in a 71 year old, with bad knees, (3 replacements and 5 by-passes as well), stumbling around out in the weeds in front of a dog. Much safer my way, even if some roosters lose a tail and I might have to rescue a hen now and then!

The half breeds seem to have the better nose than the GWP, and are much more hyper. The GWP is slow and lethargic in comparison, at least until he gets a real snoot full of scent. But he is the best retriever by far. (He finally learned how to load, about 5 days into the trip! I had almost given up on him! He didn't take to loading or traveling well at first!, Just couldn't get him to like either, during training!) But the Britt/Wymie just did not have as many chances to retrieve either. The Spinone sucks in the retrieving department. All he wants to do is pluck the birds! But he is the fastest on getting to a wounded bird, slightly faster than the Wymie/Britt mix. Greased white lightening and a brown streak!

The only thing better than watching a new pup learn, is watching two of them! Other than busting a few birds, they just couldn't have been any better dogs, what with putting up with the traveling and confined quarters for 25/26 days.

I was kind of expecting some minor problems, what with the GWP's attitude with other dogs, but it all worked out great.

23 birds, one short of the possession limit in ND. for two of us, and one short of the possession limit in NE. (just for me, the wife wasn't feeling up to hunting),as well. I gave away two in NE. and came home with 8.

Then the plus, 2 snipe in ND., 2 turkeys and a timberdoodle in NE!

BTW, the two new Benelli Ultra Lights got a work out! Mine shows surprising finish wear, but then it got a work out! In my opinion, there is just not a better upland gun out there! And I have carried many makes and models in my 60 plus years of hunting pheasants! If it weren't for the dogs, and this gun, I likely wouldn't be hunting this season, or contemplating next season as well!

{CR8 Clyde

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
WHat the heck is a timberdoodle? I know I am going to slap my forehead on this one.

Gota love those dogs thats what it is all about for me anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
jugchoke,

Great post...

Like you and Chaco1, I find that watching the dogs work is what keeps me coming back. Nothing like seeing the pups do what they were bred for (most of the time anyway).

And btw, at tip of the hat to you...I only hope to be going as strong at 71!

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.