Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been debating over the past month or so on which shotgun I want, I really like the Beretta Extrema 2 but, the price tag hurts a lot. Right now I have been looking at the Mossberg 930, Remington 1100, and the stoeger 2000 for autos, as for pump I am looking at the mossberg 500, benelli nova...

what brand and model would you suggest for an all-purpose shotgun? that won't cost an arm and a leg, reliable, etc.

any help is appreciated.

thx in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Based on your question and taking into consideration the factors you listed, eliminate the stoeger off your list RIGHT NOW.

Then go find a gently previously enjoyed 1100, 1187, 390, 391, or even 303. Those would be my suggestions. You simply can't beat the quality of these guns and there are enough of them out there that you should be able to more than easily find a great deal on a prevsiously enjoyed model.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
MRPOWER-Why the obvious dislike of the Stoeger 2000? I'm not upset or anything (no reason to be) but I have noticed in other posts that you don't like this gun and was just curious why. I like mine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thing is, everyone in my family has some sort of remington and I kind of wanted to get something a little different...

I like skeet, small game, stuff like that.

I've heard the remington doesn't have that fast of a cycle rate, for fast firing, is this true?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Every remington I've had (1100's and 11/87"s) are faster than you can pull the trigger. They are ependable and long lasting, and have stood the test of time... 8)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I believe the Nova has a chromed barrel under the finish. It should be very resistant to rusting if you wipe it down every time it's used. And if you don't it still shouldn't rust very easily.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
jclays, there is an old saying... "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

By the best shotgun you can... Your money willl go a lot further with a good used gun, than it will with a brand new gun of less quality. Your likely to have the gun you purchase for a long, long time... buy what you want, and you will quickly forget the pain of the price. If you like the Extrema... and it is an amazing gun, BUY IT. You deserve it. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bel_dad said:
jclays, there is an old saying... "The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

By the best shotgun you can... Your money willl go a lot further with a good used gun, than it will with a brand new gun of less quality. Your likely to have the gun you purchase for a long, long time... buy what you want, and you will quickly forget the pain of the price. If you like the Extrema... and it is an amazing gun, BUY IT. You deserve it. :lol:

bd
being 18, working part time, and going to college full-time. puts a damper on things... :( *cry*

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I differ with MrPower also regarding the Stoeger 2000, I own a variety of guns, and my 2000 is one of my favorites. I have the camo version, and it has been nothing less than reliable, but its not a gun I would feel comfortable with at the range.(I just feel funny there with a camo'd gun, kinda like going hunting in a tux).

One gun you might want to look at if you have your heart set on buying new is the Beretta A390 at Walmart if they still have them. They were a little over $500 bucks, are black synthetic, with a nicely done matte barrel, and the slight humpback like the Al390 silver mallard had. I think this would be a great first gun and I'd take it over a Rem 1100 for reliability any day.

For even less money I shot a Charles Daly field hunter semi auto for a couple of seasons just for a hoot. It turned out to be a very seviceable shotgun, I had no function issues at all with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was you had to hold the bolt release button down to let the carrier rise when inserting shells into the magazine, not really a big deal.

The Benelli Nova is also a rock solid gun, but I just can't get by their funky look.

Enjoy purchasing your first 12ver, and try not to break the bank on the first time out, you'll probably get addicted like the rest of us.

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
jclay247 said:
being 18, working part time, and going to college full-time. puts a damper on things... :( *cry*
Then you deffinitly want a used gun. You will get far more for your money. You can find 390's at very good prices, and it is a very good gun. A used 391 would be a great gun. The Baretta Essential was only in the... $700 new for an O/U. Used, they are less. While not rebuildable, still a very nice O/U.

bd

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jclay247 said:
thing is, everyone in my family has some sort of remington and I kind of wanted to get something a little different...

I like skeet, small game, stuff like that.

I've heard the remington doesn't have that fast of a cycle rate, for fast firing, is this true?
If you want your "Remington family" to to be really "torqued" get the Mossberg 930, mine has been absolutely reliable. Do a search they have a very good reputation...

As far as a Remington not cycling fast enough...don't buy into it. The people that are discussing cycling rates are talking in the hundredths of a second. Unless your exibtion shooting your not ever going to have a problem...

My second choice would be a Beretta 3901....

Smitty

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What the other posters have said about cyle rate is so true, all the semi autos will cycle faster than you should shoot at game.

The idea is to have the time to get back on target for your followup shots before your quarry escapes, not to see if you can empty your gun before it does so. Don't fall prey to the advertising agencies hype regarding cycle rates, in the real world it only applies to machine guns and exhibition shooters as previously mentioned.

Best regards,

Jeff

The nut list- Baker 1898 Damascus barrel double hammer gun / American Arms single shot 12 ga/ Winchester Model 12 26" IC solid rib black diamond high grade straight grip checkered stock and fore end 12ga / Winchester 1300 Black Shadow Turkey 12ga / Winchester SX2 3 ½" 12ga / Browning Gold Hunter 20ga / Stoeger 2000 Max4 camo 12ga / Beretta AL391 Urika Gold 12ga / Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga / Springfield .410 single shot (for yet to be conceived grand babies)/ Ugartechea Model 30 12 ga/

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
People were telling me how slow the cycle rate was on the old A5. I have one... so decided to give it a try. Loaded a couple of shells and aimed it out into the swamp and pulled the trigger as fast as I could... the result was two very quick shots that sounded very much like one shot. :lol:

bd

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would also recommend the Mossberg 935 in case you might be interested in having 3 1/2" capability, mine has work flawlessly and does cycle 2 3/4 1 1/8oz loads with out a problem. Fits me like a glove, points where it should, they do come with a shim kit but wasn't needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts