Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been using the Purina Energy Bars for years with good success. When Purina discontinued the product I purchased all I could find and have finally used them all. They bars worked great for multi-day hunting trips and seemed to help the dog recover much quicker.

Does anyone have a currently available alternative that they have used with success. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
There is a product called "Top Dog" that is supposed to provide a similar service but I am not sure about it. To me, they seem to be mostly a beef jerky stick without the recuprative qualities of the Purina bars. They have worked well as a pick up in the field but not after the hunt. I have gone back to my old standby of caramels and "Ritz Bits" when in the field and personal concoctions (determined with the help of my vet) of esther C, Rymidyl, other multivitamins, and high quailty food, both dry and canned, for after the hunt.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
There are a couple products made by Annamaet that are designed to aid dogs with regards to weight loss and glucose replenishment.

Impact - a high fat and protein supplement which is added to the dogs food to help prevent weight loss. Nice during extended hunting trips.

GlycoCharge - which is basically a maltodextrin supplement (complex carbs) which given shortly after vigorous exercise restores the glucose levels in the muscles to nearly 100% prior to exercise.

I personally have not used these products but know some field trialers who have used these products and they claim they really work. I think they may especially be of some use on extended hunting trips where it's difficult for some dogs to maintain good stamina and or weight for 3 or 4 days straight of hard hunting.

Here is the website http://www.annamaet.com/dogs/impact.html

As for what I give as snacks, peanut butter sandwiches... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts