Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
loaded about 300 28ga this weekend on the dedicated machine that hasn't been used in 6 months, The previous session of a couple thousand didn't have any issues,
AA HS (loaded multiple times, maybe 3-6)
3/4 shot
14 gr Long Shot
cheddite primers

not sure if these two issues are somehow related,

1. about 30 times out of 300 the deprimed primer is not falling away from the turret, you can see in these pictures it is not touching the knockout post or hull and is just "hanging" barely touching the turret or hull. At first I thought something was magnetized, but after I would remove a hanging primer I would try to place it back where it came from and there was no attraction or even attempt to "hang" again,

Material property Machine Metal Auto part Electric blue

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system Nickel

Material property Bumper Automotive tire Gas Machine tool

2. in 300 reloads about 15 had primers that were not fully seated, once I started to notice the problem I pulled every die after a powder drop for two cycles thinking it may be a die issue but I've never found one not seated fully after a powder check,

I raised the primer post slightly and it started dishing the bottom of the hull, then backed it off a little for smooth level but continued to have the random problem,

if you look at the depriming pictures it looks like the hull has come out of the die about 1/16 or 32", I think the deprimer is pushing the hull on every one but on primer insert it pushes it fully back in as everyone one I checked after powder is back flush with the die,

Drinkware Tin Drink Glass bottle Canning

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive wheel system

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Could this be a stroke issue, as in not moving far enough for the 2 operations? The primer is not clearing the frame and not being fully seated. Do both issues occur in the same handle stroke, primer jams in one station and poorly seated primer in another??
Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
handle down is deprime
handle up is seating the new primer

I'm at 12K reloads so I really don't think I'm short stroking it as I load standing up and really lean into it on the up stroke and usually two hand it at the bottom of the down stroke,

could static be holding the old primer "floating" ??

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Easy solve.

First off, the de-priming punch will unscrew from the bottom of the tool, so start by removing it, chuck it up in a drill, then using a file, chamfer/bevel the side edges of the bottom of tip so they are not sharp.

Next with it back in place, punch out a primer leave the handle all the way down, and see if the primer punch is center of primer pocket channel looking up through the bottom of the cross plate. If no, then use a tool on the end of the punch to tweak it the needed amount to center it in the hull primer channel.

The last one, or really before the end of rod tweak, loosen the tool head side allen bolt for the depriming tool, and slightly lower the de-priming punch tool in the tool head, then tighten back up the tool head side screw.

With these complete, punch should no longer be shaving the primer pockets on primer punch out, and with the touch extra distance of the punch downwards, primer should be cleanly punched out of the primer pockets.

That should also solve the primers not being seated flush on insertion for the most part, but if you are getting a clicking noise as the primer as stated to be seated in the hulls, then will need to align the primer assembly with the center of hulls in the sizers as well.
The quick one here with machine empty, insert hull into sizer and knock out the primer. On the primeless, primer assembly, mark the center of primer insert punch with sharpie marker with a dot, cut the top of hull off to top of sizer, then with the hull in the priming station with the handle all the way up, look down through the primer pocket in the hull to see if the primer punch is centered on the hulls primer pocket below. If only light adjustments are needed, loosen the primer assembly socket base screw, hold the primer assembly into aligment, then tighten the base socket screw back up. If that will not get the center of primer punch to align with the center of hull primer pocket, then grab the top of the primer assembly, and use it to slightly bend the primer seating rod. Hence upper section of the primer assembly follows the primer rod that is bolted to the bottom base of the assembly, so where every the top of rod is pointed via light bending, upper section will follow to make sure that the primer is feed cleanly in the hulls primer pocket.

Also to point out, the primer insertion rod and the decaping rod in both tools, are not hardened. So they can be tweaked at needed to align then to start with, and given a long enough use, will slightly bend out of position and need to be re-tweaked again as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't changed anything yet,
I loaded 50 more hulls last night, I checked the first 35 after powder drop and all primers were seated fully, I went ahead and loaded the last 15 without checking until I was done and none were bad,

I did have 2 out 50 spent primers "hang" and not fall after deprime, still can't understand what makes them stick as they are completely out of the hull with no plastic thread or other means holding them,

I'll work on the primer punch next,

Thanks,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looks like you are not the first.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you are not the first.
thanks I had remembered reading about this but thought the knockout pin was magnetized not the body,

I'm still confused though if anything is magnetized why I can't stick a primer back up there and have it "hang" ??

@leftex did this problem ever come back on your machine ?? I'm pulling my knock out body to see if it's magnetized,

·
Registered
184 Posts
thanks I had remembered reading about this but thought the knockout pin was magnetized not the body,

I'm still confused though if anything is magnetized why I can't stick a primer back up there and have it "hang" ??

@leftex did this problem ever come back on your machine ?? I'm pulling my knock out body to see if it's magnetized,

Are you using a magnetic shell post on your P/W? Could it be magnetizing the primer? I did the upgrade early this year.

Are you picking up spent hulls with a magnetic pick up stick? That also could be magnetizing the primer. I am and now worried. Or is the magnetic shell post upgrade demagnezing my primers?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
who was right again, Dano523 of course !!

Last night I pulled the knock out assembly, nothing was magnetized, I tried even with a staple and nothing would stick to the pin or the assembly,

I stuck the pin in a drill and chamfered just a touch off the edges and when I reinstalled it a dropped the assembly down about another 1/8"

On the first 25 I got another primer that didn't drop, I couldn't notice anything and then had another that was seriously just "floating" in mid air under the pin, it was wobbling slightly

Automotive tire Rim Gas Bicycle part Nickel

after a new even brighter flashlight I could see one, thinner than a cob web strip of plastic from the hull attached to some residue on the side of the primer, it's just a the 12 position on the primer and on the left side of the knock out pin,

Gas Engineering Automotive tire Composite material Carbon

I will take the pin out tonight and chamfer it some more to see if it will go away,

on the primer seating question, not sure why but that problem seems to have left, of the 50 I only had one that was slightly proud, barely enough to feel, nothing like in the original pictures

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wish they could make Dano's educational responses to Ponsness Warren threads stickys. His responses to other people's questions have been so helpful to me.

It would be nice to have a PW troubleshooting sticky for quick reference.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I wish they could make Dano's educational responses to Ponsness Warren threads stickys. His responses to other people's questions have been so helpful to me.

It would be nice to have a PW troubleshooting sticky for quick reference.

Not sure how current it is, but it's in the stickies in this reloading forum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts