Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The opening day for us in Cali is on Wednesday, October 15.
I'm using the Rem 1100 12 ga. mod. choke with 2 3/4" (#4's for chukkar and #7 1/2 -#8 for quail)
Who's going and what are ya' shooting and what load ? :?:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I wish I had a place for chukar.cordite I'm in Los Angeles please take me with you!!! ok aside from desperate plea to find out where to hunt chukar on public land,I think the best shot for chukar is fiocchi golden pheasant in #5 through a mod or full choke.my reason for that is my dog will chase them and they flush about 40 yds away.I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wanna come up ? The more the merrier....
You leave LA about midnight on the 15th, We'll be in the field before 5:30 am

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
well I don't think I can make the opener but if your ever here in so cal give me an e-mail and we'll try our luck on some quail.
[email protected]

happy hunting.

G

·
San Diego has some chuckar. I saw a few when I was out dove hunting on the 15th. I think they were chukar. They had the yellow belly and were about the right size.

I am going for Mt. Quail this weekend in Tahoe, then comming back for Quail opener and chukar where I saw the birds when I was dove hunting.

I will let yall know how I do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That guest was me.

Any reason for the heavy loads with chukar? Is it the distance or that they don't go down easy.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Both,one time after I got a good hit on a chukar with my 12 it tumbled and then started running but luckily my dog caught him.After I cleaned it I counted 12 pellet hits and they were as follows: 7 in the left breast close to the vitals,4 hits on the back and one in the neck.They can be as tough as to take down as a large ringneck.
they're tough but not bullet proof.

G

·
so if you had to pick a round to go for both?

#6 or would you load different for each barrel? (assuming I got an O/U)

71/2 and a 5?

Hmm what to do?

·
Registered
369 Posts
cordite said:
The opening day for us in Cali is on Wednesday, October 15.
I'm using the Rem 1100 12 ga. mod. choke with 2 3/4" (#4's for chukkar and #7 1/2 -#8 for quail)
Who's going and what are ya' shooting and what load ? :?:
Are you sure about the date?
I think it's actually on Saturday, October 18.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just got back from some Mt. Quail hunting... I say go with the light load 8's for quail. I destroyed a few of birds with 71/2 even with a 1oz load.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree.

quail-8's
huns - 8's or 7 1/2's (for some reason huns aren't hard to bring down)
chukars - 6's, 5's, or a stick of dynamite for those little #$#*&^!'s

Seriously, as a side note: For chukars, I found 1 oz. of 6's a little light at long range out of my 16ga. Recommend 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz. for increased pattern density.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Birdbrained why don't you just use 10 gauge 000 buckshot(joke)? That will bring them down :lol: .

I agree with you birdbrained, #6's and #5's will work just fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.