Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys if you dont mind sound off and let everybody know what state and local you hunt. It would be nice to know who to ask about areas for out of state hunts and so on...

I hunt North Central and East Texas, but JLP and I are gonna head north for some of them big Quail you guys call Pheasants...

Best of Luck...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TD:
Jeff and I are planning on running up to southwest OK for some Quail hunting at Sandy Sanderson WMA or something like that. Is the Quail hunting in OK as good as everyone is saying or should we just head to Kansas?

I really want to get my dog into some wild Pheasants...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Live2hunt:

I hope you can help me. I noticed that you hunt quail in North Central Texas. My grandsons live in the Denton area, and I visit them when I can. I thought that I would like to take them quail hunting either on public land or on a hunting preserve in that area. This year I will be in Texas during the months of March and December. Do you have any suggestions for who I might speak with about such hunting?

I can be reached at [email protected]. Thanks.

Texasbilly

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've hunted in south Texas most my life. Now moving to hunt more in central Texas. I'm working on a quail habitat improvement project in Guadalupe county so hopefully we'll have more birds to enjoy in the coming years. Right now, they're damn near extinct in Guadalupe county!! Wish us luck in bringing back Bob!

Hodgdon

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Hodgdon,
This may help you guys out a little bit. A few of the plantation places use these things to turn pen raised birds into "feral" birds. It works pretty well from what I've seen and read. The guy that sells them here in TX knows his quail and habitat too.

http://www.qualitywildlife.com/

·
Registered
451 Posts
jpl,

Thanks for the link! I set out a covey base camp for the first time last year. It worked really well. I still see some of banded released birds on that ranch down in south texas. I only shot about 3 of the 25 I released to the base camp that year. The birds I bought that year were horrible. They were not raised in isolation at all and were almost as tame as my dogs! But they still did ok.

This past year I set the base camp up at the new place and released 25 birds from a grower in Wimberly that raises them in isolation. Now THESE birds were wild! I set them out in October and there's still 15 in the covey. I only shot one of them. I'm really surprised so many have survied since we've got so many damn hawks out there!

Hopefully once we get the habitat in better shape the birds will really take off. The place has been neglected, overgrazed, etc. Pretty much just like the rest of Guadalupe county. It's my hope that we can turn this small ranch into a "quail haven" and then have some of the neighbors take notice and improve the habitat on their places too! May be a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to try!

Hodgdon

·
Registered
451 Posts
jpl,

Thanks for the link! I set out a covey base camp for the first time last year. It worked really well. I still see some of banded released birds on that ranch down in south texas. I only shot about 3 of the 25 I released to the base camp that year. The birds I bought that year were horrible. They were not raised in isolation at all and were almost as tame as my dogs! But they still did ok.

This past year I set the base camp up at the new place and released 25 birds from a grower in Wimberly that raises them in isolation. Now THESE birds were wild! I set them out in October and there's still 15 in the covey. I only shot one of them. I'm really surprised so many have survied since we've got so many damn hawks out there!

Hopefully once we get the habitat in better shape the birds will really take off. The place has been neglected, overgrazed, etc. Pretty much just like the rest of Guadalupe county. It's my hope that we can turn this small ranch into a "quail haven" and then have some of the neighbors take notice and improve the habitat on their places too! May be a pipe dream but it doesn't hurt to try!

Hodgdon

G

·
I hunt West Texas for wild quail in the roilling plains (One of the two remaining viable wild quail areas in the State) and then hunt wild pheasants in the Texas Panhandle...this year scenting condition have been horrible until the last 30-40 days and then things have turned for the better....Pheasants are tuff hunting but with enough walking the opportunities still present themselves for possible limts depending on how you shoot.....we are still seeing double digit coveys of quail (10+) in a day but the birds are wising up.....some coveys are still 20+ birds but the norm would be 12-15 but this late in the season that's still a strong count....Pheasants are declining due to land change practices (last year 2002 season more cotton was grown) but this year 2003 more milo was grown since cotton got hailed out....but birds were still a lot of work as loafing cover was hard to find due to drought....but where there was cover there were birds....we did find a fence row of about 150 yards thay produced 6 cocks....so birds are still there :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.