Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the heck are all of the quail in this state? When I was a kid visiting relatives around Tahlequah, OK, it seemed like Cherokee County was a paradise loaded with bobwhites. Since moving here in 2007, I think I've only seen a dozen of them.

I'm originally from California and I guess I'm spoiled by the excellent quail hunting out there. I'd hunt every weekend of the upland season and never had any trouble finding coveys, with some having 50 birds or more in them. I could go to some totally new place I'd never been to before and manage to find quail and have a great hunt.

Since moving out to Tahlequah, I've finally resigned myself to hunting Black Kettle and Packsaddle but the birds are few and far between for me there compared to what I am used to.

Black Kettle is far enough from home that if I've got the time, I just keep on cruising to Clovis, NM and hunt BLM land out there. The quail hunting out there is more like what I am used to. It's worth the drive, but I can't do it as much as I'd like to. I'd like some closer to home opportunity.

Does anybody actually hunt quail in eastern Oklahoma? On public land? Not looking for anyone to give up honey-hole specific info but some general info like "I hunt over a GSP at Honobia or Three Rivers or Insert WMA Here and do okay" would be helpful.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Resurrection! Any decent public lands to hunt quail in Oklahoma? I'm not familiar with the state much outside the I-35 corridor but am looking for a bit of adventure in a new place and really want to hunt wild quail successfully at least once before I die. Any info greatly appreciated.

· Registered
6,963 Posts
duckqwacker said:
Resurrection! Any decent public lands to hunt quail in Oklahoma? I'm not familiar with the state much outside the I-35 corridor but am looking for a bit of adventure in a new place and really want to hunt wild quail successfully at least once before I die. Any info greatly appreciated.
A guy in our church claims he's finding LOTS of quail around Blackwell. That may well be true, but I've never been invited so can't personally vouch for his veracity.

I've only been here three years and haven't even tried to find quail spots, as some of the guys in our gun club go to Kansas and hunt the public land there. I, too, hunt only in Kansas, though on private land.

· Registered
172 Posts
Quail numbers were way up last year, the WD doesn't quite know what the numbers will be this year. Due to the wet late summer the underbrush is very dense and the WD thinks their estimates may be low. Sept numbers showed a decline of ...66%... from last year. Go to ODWC website and read up on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.