Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
That is a stunning Ithaca. I hope it is yours. Ithaca wood and engraving on high grade guns from that era are unsurpassed IMO. I think it might be slightly later then 1900. Love the bordered checkering--only one of the Hallam did that as far as I can determine. Can you share its sn?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a stunning Ithaca. I hope it is yours. Ithaca wood and engraving on high grade guns from that era are unsurpassed IMO. I think it might be slightly later then 1900. Love the bordered checkering--only one of the Hallam did that as far as I can determine. Can you share its sn?
SN 45870. If I checked correctly that makes it a 1900. Have you ever seen a Heron on the trigger guard before? Yes, I am the current caretaker.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Lovely, simply lovely old gun! The finish on the wood is new is it not? Complicated double fleur de Lis checkering used in the pattern for the grip. That takes real skill!

Got to love those Damascus barrels!

I would be proud to shoot that one on occasion. Congratulations!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lovely, simply lovely old gun! The finish on the wood is new is it not? Complicated double fleur de Lis checkering used in the pattern for the grip. That takes real skill!

Got to love those Damascus barrels!

I would be proud to shoot that one on occasion. Congratulations!
I feel the wood has been re-done at some time. The gun was featured in the Double Gun Journal in 2000, so it had to have been before that.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wood and barrels have been definitely been re-finished - nicely done. Judging from the faces of the heron and dogs, I would guess that this is the work of Joseph Loy, who also worked for Lefever and Remington. Gorgeous old girl!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Joseph Loy was five years into his career as foreman of the Remington engraving department when the gun in question was made at Ithaca.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Researcher - on closer examination, I believe you are correct - the jaw lines and snouts on the dogs are not Loy's - Laytham seems the correct choice. Here are a couple of Loys dogs
Wood Tints and shades Human leg Outdoor shoe Barware
Helmet Shoe Wood Personal protective equipment Artifact
Helmet Shoe Wood Personal protective equipment Artifact

1 - 11 of 11 Posts