Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share with you gentlemen my continued story of a man purchasing his first shotgun. After finding a store and talking to "Eric" (yes I take notes on the phone) he said that it would be no problem in getting a Mossberg 590A1, with a parkerized finish, factory ghostsited. He wasn't sure about a heat shield but said he would call to find out. Price $390.00. I said I would come in on the next day Eric worked and gave him my name and phone number. I also told him about the Knoxx site and the amount of recoil reduction that can be seen in the movies there.

Friday I was excited. I had a list of things I wanted to look at most of which you gentlemen here had suggested. Thought I would price them out. You know the cleaning stuff, snap caps, the book on tactical shotguns that Pilot 870 recomended, etc.

The store was small but that didn't put me off as I have been in small stores CRAMMED with goodies. When I opened the door I saw this wasn't one of them. Stuffed black bear cub the other owner had shot in '98 but not a lot of inventory. OK I can deal.

Eric responded to his name. I introduced myself and reminded him I had spoken with him on the phone. Oh yeah sure, he remembered. Then he said we can't get the 590 A1. HUH? :shock: But you said you could the other day on the phone. He looks confused and starts going through catalogs. I peer down and actually see HIS notes with my name, number, what I wanted, the url for knoxx, etc. by the register. He's having a hard time finding anything. I start to look into his eyes to see if he had smoked a joint or something. Oh yeah then he finds he can get it but its the 20 inch barrel not an 18.5 as he said on the phone. Asking about possible longer barrels sends him into a frenzy of catalog usage and he can't seem to understand what he is looking at. I wonder if his ball cap is hiding a recent head injury. I mean it was night and day with this guy. On the phone, he seemed intelligent and knowledgable, in person a total space cadet. I asked about a few of the other things on my list and they didn't have them. At this point feeling mostly defeated trying to get a tactical SG in a big hunting area. I asked him what was the price on that again? He said $430.00. I said but you said $390.00 on the phone. Another long look of confusion. OK it's $390.00 I guess. I should have said we agreed to $200.00. I put $100 bucks down, get a receipt and it could be here Wednesday or it could be here the week after depending upon where it ships from. So much for his "5 days" statement on the phone. I only hope he orders the right thing and the guys on the other end know what THEY are doing. I'll post pics when I get it so you guys can make sure of what it is.

He also mentioned I was the first to ever want something like this. He wrote LAW ENFORCEMENT on my receipt. I never said nor implied I was an officer of any kind. This is hunting country and the schools get the day off when deer season opens. I don't know if that is the cause of my difficulties.

By the way when you guys mention the store "Wallyworld" do you mean Walmart or is that another big box store not in my area.

In regard to my last post when I mentioned various mediaeval weapons and armour, I'm getting too old to slay the dragon and your really DO need a squire to get into the stuff. I guess I was always attracted to non conventional weapons. I remember having to do most of my P.E. requirement in one year of my University stay and having, archery, self defense, and fencing in the same semester. A friend looked at my schedule and said, "What are you studying for? To be an assasin?". Didn't you ever play the mental game of entering a room and looking around to decide what might be used as a weapon? I mean what is blunt and heavy, what could be a projectile if thrown, what could blind or confuse an opponent? Not that you plan to use it on a friend but what if a zombie came crashing through the door. I used to do it as a matter of course. And you always try and sit where you have the best view of everything that's going on in the room. I still won't sit with my back to the door in a pub. That has saved me more than once from being in the middle of trouble(I usually find out where rear exits are in a place too). No, I am not paranoid just because I use storefront windows to look at who is following me on the street. When I was living in or near big cities it was just common sense.

Some of the comments were very funny. I'm no ninja or knight, I just like thier toys and have played with them. But I guess in a post apocalyptic world after the ammo runs out I might have an edge. 8)

Cheers,
R.W.Brennan

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well..it would seem that this guy did just get done smoking a joint and might account for his cluelessness and memory loss.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy a gun from that shop. If he can get you a 590 mossberg for $390 or $400 bucks, then maybe you should go along with it. You only need him for his FFL, quite honestly, since his shop is a hunting oriented one.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
"I wonder if his ball cap is hiding a recent head injury"

LMAO... :lol:

wallyworld = walmart

been out of LEO work for a while now and i still leave enough room in front of my vehicle and the guy ahead of me at a stop light for egress... i could tell you lots more but then i'd get the "paranoid" pilot reputation... aware... not paranoid

and unless you are in a big city, in a tactical flavored gun shop, with a tac-familiar guy behind the counter, most of the regulars here know MORE about tac SGs that the person behind the counter... i've often had the owner look at me for an answer when a customer asks them about SG tac stuff...

i'm not an expert, but i surfed shotgun world last night :wink:

indeed, take the gun and run... and let us know how you like it

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I used to work for an FFL. Meatbags would come in looking for a super cheap slug gun to go wax bambi and I would do my best to sell them a *****ing tac. shotgun but alas, no one took me up except for a kid I'm pretty sure sold drugs but it was a pistol grip mossberg so it hardly counts.
I wish I could have sold to some other tac. fanatics.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Happy bloody birthday to me. Just got a call from Eric. Not good news. "Um our distributor says Mossberg is backed up. They ordered 35 guns and only got 8. So it could be three days or a few months. What'cha want to do?"

Crushing the phone in my hand didn't seem to work and wouldn't be really productive, so I told him I would keep it on order there but I was going to look elsewhere and if I found what I wanted somewhere else I would cancel the order with him. He said that was fine by him.

Is this anywhere near normal?

Is it usually this frustrating to try and make a purchase?

Cheers,
R.W.Brennan

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
you made the right choice and got the most options...

yes, i've been fruistrated by such a purchase and i did the same thing as you... i went looking and dang i pretty could much find the same item that one source was backordered, another source has six...

item in question was a Badger tac mount for my M700... so many were being shipped to uncle sam for tac use in the big sandbox...

i just typed what i wanted in google and started running down the list of hits... have you gone to the mossy website and looked under their list of dealers? sometimes mfg's have "gold" dealers that get more of, or the rare, firearms 'cause they do volume...

granted, a SG is harder to arrange than a scope base, but other than wish you a happy birthday, and wish the best of health for your phone, there's not much else i can do :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
You could always scan the online gunstores... www.gunbroker.com is the one I always look at. I've never purchased a firearm online, so I don't know how easy it is to get over the whole "buying a firearm from some random person over the internet" thing is. If you find one there, you could get it sooner though. Other than that, if you do have to wait a few months it'll make getting it all that sweeter. In the mean time you can stock up on ammo and targets, which just doesn't seem nearly as satisfying. :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, I just called the guy up the road (actually closer to me than Eric and company). He said he can get it but the price is $425.00 plus tax and stuff. He said he uses about 10 distributors and would call tomorrow and see about availability. He also knew what snap caps were. Wasn't sure if he had them in stock but could get them. Said if I was not going to use the gun and just wanted one to lay around in an emergency he had a used Savage for $150. I don't even know what sort of gun that is. It sounds as if his store is better stocked. I am wondering if its better to spend an extra $35 and establish a relationship with someone I would deal with more.

I really can't wait a few months. I have waited longer than that since I started looking into it. I worrry about a general crackdown in procuring arms in todays climate.
Cheers,
R.W.Brennan

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check out the second guy... if he can walk up-right, he's a few steps better than Eric seemed to be. The $35 is what you pay for right now, and I know we've all paid premiums worse than that before!! I do know the "I need it" mentality - I'm as impatient as the next guy when it comes to wanting things!
Let us know if store #2 is actually a legit place, and if so, show your disliking of the first store by spending your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
BobDaHam said:
Check out the second guy... if he can walk up-right, he's a few steps better than Eric seemed to be. The $35 is what you pay for right now, and I know we've all paid premiums worse than that before!! I do know the "I need it" mentality - I'm as impatient as the next guy when it comes to wanting things!
Let us know if store #2 is actually a legit place, and if so, show your disliking of the first store by spending your money elsewhere.
Agreed. This guy may get you a deal on a lot more down the road. He seems like he has a couple of brain cells that meet up once in a while to spark a thought. I say build a relationship and stick with it. It's worth $35 for that.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
You won't want to buy every last thing from a more costly shop, but I have found that those are the ones with spare parts and gunsmithing skills. $35 is a bargain to avoid further dissapointment. He's got an older SG he's offering up for a closet gun, which is probably fine, but I think you know what you want.

can't blame him for trying..like cars, he's probably going to make a good profit on the used stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also had some trouble looking for a 590A1. Everyone carried the 590 and/or 500. As for the Law Enforcement designation, the 590A1 falls into that category (as so designated by Mossberg), so many distributors, who primarily deal with hunting or target firearms, will not carry them. I found only a few local places that will order the A1 with ghost rings, but only one that could get it with a bead (less popular). It took two weeks longer than they originally said, but he got it anyway. The ghost ring version seemed to be about $410-$425 around here.

It is a smaller shop but he has good prices. The guy I ordered it from gave me a price on the phone when I was calling around. Since he threw out a price before I finished answering I know he didn't look it up. I think it was a little low and he barely made a profit, but he never tried to raise the price. In the end, I got exactly what I wanted and ordered and all for a good price. I also live in hunting country and know that was a factor. There are some shops that carry tactical shotguns, but none close and they are more expensive.

Good luck in your search. Check around. If you're in hunting country you likely have several options to choose from. In any case, a little patience will probably be necessary. Believe me, I was itching to get mine, too.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
mr. brennan...

i've got 35 rea$on$ why you should take a short walk and save yourself aggravation and get what you want but i'm not awake enough to list them all... let's just say you can spend a little extra AND buy a positive relationship with a vendor at the same time...

at least here in VT i don't see an erosion of the right to purchase such an item, but i've been in that anxious place you reside... skip the savage, mike100 is right, you know what you want... now break out the plastic and do it! :)

i love spending other people's money... 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.