Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a big doe today on the opening of the pa season. it was a wet day and i had to wait all day to find it. when i rolled it over to dress it its utter was full and when i opened it milk went all over. So this means that it recently gave birth right? i talked to my brother and i thought that he might have herd that when you have a doe like that the meat will be all "hormonal" and taste bad. Is this true?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I also shot a nice doe last week that was stil milking.
After skinning it and while cutting up the hind quarters the meat did smell a little more gamey than the other two three deer I had to butcher, 2 buck and another doe. After takeing the backstraps inside loins I ground the rest of the doe up and I actually took some of the hind grind and cooked it up in a skillet with olive oil garlic salt and pepper, only about 1/2 pound or meat and I did not taste any more gamey than any other deer that I have the privlege to harvest and eat.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Does your cow meat taste any different? NOOOOOOOOO

This doesn't change the meat at all. It's just milk for gosh sakes.

I just shot a doe two weeks ago that was still fresh. Meat tasted fine.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is very normal. It just means her fawns were still nursing some. You do want to try and not cut open the udder when you are field dressing, similarily you don't want to cut open the intestine. But mistakes happen, just make sure you rinse out the body cavity well when you get the deer back to the cabin and you shouldn't have any trouble.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've shot several does which were still lactating. This doesn't mean she recently gave birth, it means her fawn(s), born in the spring, are still nursing. This will have NO effect on the meat.

JLP,

If you are eating meat from old, tough, dairy cows, you should try some beef from a young steer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
jlptexashunter,
I agree it's just milk and I wouldn't think that it would taste any different. But regarding your comparison to a cow... 99% of beef most people eat comes from steers (castrated bull). You don't usually eat the female cows as they are used for producing the meat and and milk for us.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I realize that most of the beef we eat is steer meat but I also worked in a slaughter house that ran a giant feed lot and believe me, there are a BUNCH of non-producing dairy cattle run through there.

There is a reason the FDA sweats dairy cows getting mad cow and the MEAT and milk not hitting the food system.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
rybu0305 said:
jlptexashunter,
I agree it's just milk and I wouldn't think that it would taste any different. But regarding your comparison to a cow... 99% of beef most people eat comes from steers (castrated bull). You don't usually eat the female cows as they are used for producing the meat and and milk for us.
Thanks,
Ryan
And just what do you think happens to the old cows that are no longer efficient producers of milk or calves? Or even the undesirable for that use, younger ones? Only a certain percentage of beef cattle heifers are kept for breeding purposes as well. And they sure as hell, don't milk that type!

Funny how far some city folks can be off base. I was raised on a farm and like Jlpxh, I too worked in a packing house, many, many years ago.

Clyde

·
Registered
123 Posts
jugchoke, jlptexashunter,
I'm not trying to start I big discussion on meat cattle but I would not consider myself city folk. Nor would I consider myself a cattle farmer. I live in a very rural area and know a lot of people who own cattle and I raise goats myself, mainly for milk. Most of the people I know raise cows for their own meat purposes though, not feed lot stuff. I was just referring to your comment, "Does your cow meat taste any different? NOOOOOOOOO " And I think you have both agreed that most people do not end up with meat from a lactating cow on their plate. Most people would not be able to make the comparison of their beef tasting different or not. If a heifer does end up going through a slaughter house as you say, which I'm sure your right, I don't think they are usually lactating. The point was not whether or not we eat heifers but whether or not people end up with lactating heifers on their plate. I would say that is rare. No pun intended :)
Sorry about getting this thread off topic,
Ryan

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
rybu0305 said:
jugchoke, jlptexashunter,
And I think you have both agreed that most people do not end up with meat from a lactating cow on their plate.
Usually, but who knows what you might have in your soup bowl! :roll: :lol: :oops:

Clyde

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just for the record, the vast majority of the hamburger cosumed is made up of cows. Wet cows make up a good number of slaughter cows. The steaks and better cuts are generally harvested from fat cattle as well as the occasional young cow that has been fed out. Your older bulls are generally put into baloney and hotdogs. Now back to the original question. AS already stated a wet doe is not necessarily a fresh doe. As in cows, fresh would mean she just calved and you were right about not eating or slaughtering cattle that just calved as the meat is not desireable. Jon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts