Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on joining the ATA and shooting in some registered events.

Do you have to shoot in ALL the sub-events (I think that's what they're called) at any given event. For example, if I go to a shoot and they have 16yd singles, doubles, and handicap...can I elect to shoot ONLY in the 16 yd singles?

I downloaded and read the rule book, but can't seem to figure this out from that. Maybe the answer is so obvious it is staring me right in the face. :oops:

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
Shoot what you pay for, one or all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When you get there, there should be a person registering. He will ask you if you want to shoot singles (16yd), Handicap (yours will be 20yd) and or doubles. You can shoot any of the three or all three whichever you want.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I couldn't find anywhere it specifically said that. On second thought, I guess it should have been obvious, but I was worried thinking I wouldn't be comfortable shooting doubles or handicap yet, and I couldn't stand waiting to get to the club later this week and ask.

Thanks again.

G

·
Typically ATA shoots have 3 100 target events (Singles 16yd, Handicap yds, and doubles) Each event is made up of several sub-events. Singles and Handicap sub-event is usually 25 targets shot on a trap and then you move to another trap and shoot another 25 targets termed sub-event 2 through sub-event 4 to equal 100 targets. Doubles typically has two sub-events made up of 25 pair each on two different traps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Welcome to the ATA. As mentioned above at your first shoot there will be someone in charge of the classification table. Don't be shy to ask any questions of him/her when you sign up. Try to avoid playing any of the options/purses until you figure what they are all about. Everybody has to start somewhere, sometime and just about any shooter at an ATA event will be glad to assist you and point you in the right direction to get you signed up.

Kent Southard

·
Super Moderator
2,452 Posts
When I shot my first registered shoot, I made it a point to arrive a little early to beat the lines and found the sign-up (classification) table. I just told the guy it was my first registered shoot and I needed direction. Everyone was eager to help me and it was a great experience. As mentioned, don't spend a bunch of money on the options. Give yourself a little time to figure them out. After a couple of years I still rarely play any options.

I know guys who shoot recreational trap, but shy away from registered shoots. I really think they are missing out. It adds a whole new challenge when you walk to the line and it's right here, right now, for the next 100 targets, how good can I be. And, there is much more personal satisfaction when you do well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.