Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I could cure the rattle in the forend of my Mossberg 500 if the action bars were welded to the tube rather than pinned........Were they always pinned. The pinning causes the action tube and forend to twist very easily........It looks like the bars would have to be lined up exactly and the action may bind if the bars are not allowed to swivel..............Anyone ever run into this?....................Thanks..........Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are pinned loosly. They wiggle up and down when the tube is out out the shotgun....This causes a lot of slop and twisting of the forend.........I may just try to peen them tighter, because I'm afraid welding them will cause problems if they are not lined up correct...................Bob

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm pretty sure every one is like that. I haven't seen a mossberg yet that wasn't loose like that. Go out to the gunstore and check out a couple. I'm pretty sure every Mossberg has the rattle. Don't worry about it, I've seen alot of mossbergs, but I haven't seen any broke yet.

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I cured it.......I drilled and tapped and screwed a 6-48 screw in both sides and ground them down flush. Tightened everything up pretty fair. Now the only slack is in the original roll pin itself which cannot be removed except by drilling it out......

·
Registered
131 Posts
My 500 had the bracket that holds the action bars seperate from the forend tube. It was two days before the season so I needed to fix it myself. I brazed the bracket and tube together and it's worked fine ever since. Oh yeah it still rattles but the repair has held for 13 years now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fix really quietened things up..........The bars lay down in grooves about an inch long with a roll pin in the middle......I believe the hole in the action bar is larger than the roll pin causing a lot of the slop. I drilled an extra hole thru the slot and into thru the bars.............................The action bars are really hard................Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts