Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are mechanical scales adequate for shotshell reloading or do I need the more accurate digital models? Any suggestions on a scale that you personally use?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
Mechanical (balance beam) scales are more than adequate for reloading. I prefer them for their simplicity and ruggedness. You never have to wonder if some electronic part went haywire or if the battery went dead. The balance beam scale is a little slower to use than the electronic scale, but since you only have to weigh a powder or shot charge about every 300 to 500 shells, speed of use is not a big concern.

·
Premium Member
20,328 Posts
fcamd,

You are certainly welcome. I forgot to address the question about the scale I use. I use a RCBS 502 scale. It has worked great during the 8 years I've owned it. Never a problem with it. It is accurate to within about 0.1 grain. That is more than enough accuracy for shotshell reloading.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
As stated balance scales are fine for reloading. I personally use an electronic Dillion D-Terminator scale that I plug into the wall, so no battery issue.
When hand loading steel or other non-tox loads it is much more like pistol or rifle ammo, one shell at a time, waiting for the balance to settle would just add unnecessary time to an already tedious task.

http://www.eguns.com/Dillon_Precision/S ... cales.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.