Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Chris;

I'm not Kevin, I kind of hesitated to reply since you directed your question to Downrange but, I can tell you that you can do that, but you'll probably not be happy with the crimps. You'd be better served with the pink XXLs. I'd bet a C-note he will concur.
The XL-1s are a "perfect" 1 oz wad, but the fill will be a bit short with the 7/8 oz shot charge since the XL-1 is a shorter wad. The more bulky the powder the better it will be; however. You could put a bit of filler in them too (i.e. puffed wheat) and even maybe set the crimp starter a bit lower to get a shorter finished shell and a deeper crimp with a swirl in it. The XXL is your better choice, far better in my experience. Yes I have tried it and I used 18-1/2 gr of Promo. I did not like the finished shell. No I don't normaly load and shoot 7/8 oz 12 ga loads, but I do fool arround with different combinations just to see how they work.

BP

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BP, Thanks, thats the response I kind of thought I would get. I already purchased the Fio primers, Hodgdon Clays, and shot, just trying to decide on the wads.. I want to make 7/8, 1 and 1-1/8th to cover all possible sporting shots. I kind of decided on the XL-1 green and blue for the 1 and 1/8th, thought the Jammer style would be a good choice for 7/8th.

Could the same be said for the CB-4100 or is it just as good in 7/8th as 1 ounce ??

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
I've never used the 4100 for 1 oz loads, I don't think the design lends it's self well to being a multi fit wad like the XXL does.

BP

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Chris;

Yes, the dual capacity of the 4100 "lightning" Claybuster wad is a compromise. Any wad that states it is usable for more than one shot charge will be a compromise of some sort. It does indeed have a longer center cushion section than the original 1-1/8 oz Windjammer. I don't like it for collapsing as far as it needs to to load 1 oz loads in certain combinations, especially STS and AAs The design of the dual Xs of the XXL Downrange wad addresses that very well. There are nicely formed dual Xs that more evenly support the shot cup and they have an upper X that is of lighter construction than the lower one allowing the shot cup to collapse or adjust very nicely to the various shot charges. It is just a better design and as such works better in my opinion.

BP

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As always, thanks BP. Was just about to submit my order to recobs, shipping was comming up at 30.00 for 5,000 which I thought was pretty high, but when I went to check out it jumped to 48.00,,,, :shock: so I went elsewhere... Got the neon XL-1, Blue XL-1-1/8 the Pink XXL 7/8 and a package of CB 4100's to play with on short Sporting shots..

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
GCBluerock is a distributer for Downrange products if you can't get a good deal anywhere else close to you.

You chose wisely!

You'll not be disappointed with the XL or XXLs, at least I don't think you will! I use them exclusivly ever since I somehow got hold of some pre-production samples of the Jammer-1s. I don't load any 1-1/8 oz loads any more but I still have several bags of Windjammers, AAs, and RXRs that I'd let sit and use the dark blue XL 1-1/8 instead if I were going to load any more. I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference between a 1 and a 1-1/8 oz load for any anything I still use a 12 ga for.

I think you'll find the CB 4100 Lightning to be a reasonable choice for 7/8 oz loads with cheapo straight wall hulls and bulky powder. I've even used them successfully for 3/4 oz loads, just like the pink Federal wad and the green Remington figure-8.

Yup it seems like shipping has just about went through the stratosphere. My son took a box down to the local UPS distribution center yesterday. He about croaked on the spot. It wasn't all that big of box, and not even very heavy, it's a seat for a motorcycle. Not a big seat either! It cost him $46 and change. USPS was even higher, like $50! :shock:

BP

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
chris288 said:
Thanks Guys,,, !! I couldn't belive Re-cobs wanted 48.00 for shipping,, that was half the cost of the wads themselves.. II sent them an e-mail without a response..
In the future, if anything at all seems wrong about the quoted shipping cost computed by an online shopping cart script, call the seller (usually toll-free).

I can assure you Recob's is not out to screw you on shipping charges. In fact, they'll bend over backwards to get you the lowest-cost shipping.

Those online shopping cart scripts, which compute shipping costs from a database which may be totally screwed up, are infamously and frequently unreliable.

But get your Downrange Wads from Gregg (GCBluerock) anyway. He'll treat you right on price and shipping.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Chris 288

I think you will find that a case of weds will cost in the area of $15 to $20 per case to ship on UPS, depending on the distance.

Case is correct. They are not out to skin you on shipping costs.

Give them a call and you will get the straight answers.

Or you can order from GC Bluerock.

DLM

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It used to be people did business face to face or phone to phone, now we have e-mail to e-mail and text to text, nobody actually talks to anybody anymore, and I am just as quilty, I hate picking up the phone, I should have callled Recobs and found out the dealio on the shipping, but I found another supplier and shipping 6,000 wads came to 17.00 so I was happy and went with them.. next shipment I will look into Bluerock. Thanks again guys...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts