Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post in the Winchester section you wrote, "You must have had a Gold that was older. Browning made a few updates to them a few years back to correct some issues they were having."

Can you be more specific as to timing of the updates, what the issues were and what changes were made to correct them? I have a 3 1/2" Gold Stalker, I think was fabricated in 2000. Currently, I hunt and shoot some clays occasionally, so definitely not a high volume shooter. So far, my Gold cycles everything I put in it without a problem. My brother has a 3 1/2" Camo that was probably manufactured in 2002 or 2003. He has had no problems either. I thoroughly clean my gun often, my brother on the other hand, NEVER cleans his. I will probably have the pleasure over Christmas!

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Some of the first 3 1/2" models had receiver issues with some of them cracking. The bolt had some small improvements and the firing pins were beefed up some. All of these things were corrected in the later part of the 90's. You and your brothers will have the updates already.
My first Gold 3 1/2" was a 2000 or 2001 model. I had 5,000 rounds or so thru it before someone made me an offer for it. Last time I saw it, the new owner had added another 1,000 thru it. The gun still looks very good and never had a malfunction. I went out and bought another one only with Dura Touch. :D This one is a 2004 and has around 2,000 rounds without any problems. Other than it being a little dirty right now, It looks hardly uesd.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My father and I purchased a pair of Browning Gold 3 1/2 inchers in the fall of 1998. We had problems with them cycling light loads and failing to eject 3 1/2" shells. These guns were well maintained but just failed to perform as advetised. I can't tell you what changes have been made as after spending that much money for a single shot I have not kept up with the Browning Gold 3 1/2". Worc should be able to get you the info on the changes and the dates. I have hunted with several guys who shoot newer model Golds and they have performed very well. From what I have seen and read about the newer ones you should be very pleased with your Browning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts