Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is sold more in the USA handguns or shotguns?

If you know can you show a fact sheep link or something?

I woulld think shotguns are sold more do to hunting, sport, police tactical and so on..

Let me know opinions and facts

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'll bet you is the other way around. I have no link to prove it. Maybe someone else does.

Every cop on the street has a handgun. Most of the urban homeowners if anything own a handgun due to limited space.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I can't give you any links but I can tell you that I have done more than 500 FFL transfer in the past 18 months and that about 70% are handguns, 25% are rifles, and 5% are shotguns.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
wow..shotguns are the cheapest of all guns ( at least the economy variants are).

long guns and assault weapons where never the threat that the anti's wanted them to be. hand guns sales are strong and I have personally purchased 5 handguns (2 of them sold) vs 4 long guns.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
As far as sporting guns go..i had heard that about 5% of the population are into hunting, 5% hate anything to do with killin animals (the loudest 5%), and the other 90% are indifferent or share mild view points one way or the other.

so the low percentage of sales of the shotguns seems about right.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I saw an Excel spreadsheet somewheres (followed a web link and it lead to the BATF site) which listed annual sales of long guns for the past 10 years, can't recollect if handguns were included or not. You might check BATF's site and see if that info is still there.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
It's still there. Below are the manufacturing statistics for 2003 from the BTAF website. These numbers should closely correspond to US sales.

Rifles: 1,430,324 manuf - 62,522 exported = 1,367,802

Pistols/Revolvers: 1,121,024 manuf - 42,864 exported = 1,078,160

Shotguns: 726,078 manuf - 29,537 exported = 696,541

Misc = 30,978 manuf - 6,989 exported = 23,989

Of all calibers of pistols and revolvers, the greatest number manufactured was in pistols larger than 9mm up to .50. I'm guessing quite a few 40 & 45s went to law enforcement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts