Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set up my Mec Jr. 600 and everything seems to be going fairly well with the loading process. I do occasionally get a hull that crushes below the wad collum in the powder area of the hull. About 3 in 200 hulls. They still chamber and are slightly crushed. I also get some hulls that when crimp starting, have a wider opening than most and although they close OK, they are level with the top of the shell (crimp). I can take a pic to show if interested. This happens about 7 in 200 hulls. It seems as if they are maybe shorter than some of the rest of the hulls. The hulls are Remington STS in 20 gauge. Is this normal?

Jude :wink:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its difficult to know what your problem is from your description, but there are some things that you might want to try. It sounds like your problems stem from too much stuff being pushed into the hull. Check these:
1. Make certain that your MEC reloader is providing adequate wad pressure when you ram it into the hull. It must seat firmly atop the powder. Failure to seat firmly will cause poor ignition, but also poor crimping.
2. Make certain that the drop tube isn't pulling the wad and shot slightly out of the hull as it is being withdrawn. This will make them sit too high and cause crimping and crushing problems.
3. Adjust the crimp setting to provide the minimum (adequate)crimp needed to hold the shot. Too deep a crimp causes hulls to be crushed.
4. Make certain you are following a proven recipe for that hull/load configuration. Failure to follow proven loads may result in having too much or too little "stuff" to make good loads. Of course, and it may also be dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
texasbilly, thank-you for your reply. I use as mentioned STS hulls, Mec Powder Bushing #24 with 16.0gr of PB, wad pressure is at 40 lb., RXP20 wads, 7/8 oz. charging bar. I check with a scale about every 10 hulls for charge weight and that seems to be OK. I might have to check as you mentioned the wad maybe pulling out.

As mentioned above, most come out perfect , just a few crushed and the other few crimp is closed but doesn't have the slight crimp recess that a factory shell has just even with top of hull.

Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Watch to see if the powder cup on the wad is hanging up on the interior of the hull. I have had a few that did this on hulls that had been fired a few times and were not as smooth as a newer hull. Some of these would crush during the crimp stage. I have started examining my hulls a little closer for interior damage to prevent this.---AFG

·
Premium Member
20,410 Posts
I tend to think that the problem is as Texasbilly said, too much stuff in there. Even though you are following published recipes, sometimes they don't always work out as well as they should. Another factor is the shot size. The larger the shot size, the more volume it will take to get a certain weight of shot.

Try using slightly less shot, perhaps 20 grains less. See if that cures the problem. Another thing, the smaller the gauge, the more finicky they are about reloading. It just goes with the territory. :cry:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Forgot to mention that the Mec charge bar is the Skeet Special and the shot size is #9. I have been looking in the manual and it mentions that if you experience hullls bulging to adjust the cam arm by rotating clockwise 1/32". I have adjusted the cam and have to get more primers before I can load any more. I did try some of the hulls that I mentioned seemed to not crimp with the right amount of recess and they now look good. So this might be a step in the right direction. I also have International Clays powder and will be trying that as my next formula. Using a #21 Mec bushing (being smaller and less volume) it will be 14.0 grains of the International and that should give a little more room in the hull with the smaller bushing at 2 grains less powder. I will try this with some hulls on Friday and post my results. Thanks again for the help as reloading shotgun is fairly new to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For an update, I bought primers today and switched my formula to the Hodgdon's International Clays. I had some adjustments with Cam arm and Crimp setting. The 2 grains less did make a difference in the level in the STS hulls and I had to also adjust the wad pressure to 35 lbs. as 40 was compressing the wad too low and had a lot of room at the top of the hull. The crimps were being pushed in. I adjusted the wad pressure then adjusted the crimp as it was the culprit for crushing the cases as with all the room in my hulls, I crushed the first 2 and had to cut them apart to salvage the components. The last adjustment was the cam arm as the crimp was being pushed downward.

Thanks for the tech support guys!!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.