Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Syreel said:
We shoot it properly the "Yanks" play at shooting it! 8)
The Brits talk a good game, however I feel compelled to remind Cyril, that BOTH World Titles are currently held by "Yanks". :)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Syreel,

I think they got you on this one buddy. LOL In my mind King George will always be the best, at least while I am alive. Sorry my Yankee friends. I am from Texas and no one will ever call a true Texas a Yankee. LOL

Mike McAlpine

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Well there are more and more Brits coaching over here so perhaps they are learning? :eek: Also some are taking lessons in UK before they shoot competitions there eh P? :shock:

No seriously many Americans here are putting in the work to be the best and it shows. Target setting is getting a tiny bit better in some places and exposure to targets in Europe helps both shooters and target setters.

I used to say the difference between UK and US targets was, Never see a target over 40 yards in US, never see a target UNDER 40 yards in UK

But US has learned that you can set 60+ yard targets and they can be broken although many still insist on heavy loads at gruesome speeds

It is all good for the game

Roger

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
dmoreland said:
Being the OP, I appreciate the clever reparte but can anyone elaborate on the differences between the two disciplines ?
There aren't really any format or regulatory differences that I've ever been able to figure out. Most of the rules seem to be the same but I suspect there's a difference in the attitude of the average shooters to target difficulty. Even slightly soft registered shoots are rare over here and usually attract much scorn. I know people who won't attend certain regular shoots because they consider them set up to massage the egos of the lower ranked shooters, but I understand from many posts and PMs on here that a lot of American shooters like courses that produce flattering scores.

Whilst I haven't (yet) shot in the US, people I know who have, tend to emphasize that over here we have (a) more long distance targets, (b) shorter windows and (c) more fast full power targets and fewer floaty, curling, dying type targets.

Where's Ed Solomons when we need him?? :lol:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
One difference, you almost never see high incomer targets in the US but driven targets are common in UK Not so many personal injury lawyers in UK

A Major event like the Nationals will have impeccably dressed CPSA referees, last one I shot they were in blazers, white shirts, khakis and a TIE

Walking between stations, guns will be in sleeves over the shoulder

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
One difference, you almost never see high incomer targets in the US but driven targets are common in UK Not so many personal injury lawyers in UK

A Major event like the Nationals will have impeccably dressed CPSA referees, last one I shot they were in blazers, white shirts, khakis and a TIE

·
Registered
27,084 Posts
Mike McAlpine said:
Syreel,

I think they got you on this one buddy. LOL In my mind King George will always be the best, at least while I am alive. Sorry my Yankee friends. I am from Texas and no one will ever call a true Texas a Yankee. LOL

Mike McAlpine
And with GOOD reason..NO Yankee would ever want to be associated with Texas........... :lol: :mrgreen: {hs#

·
Registered
27,084 Posts
dmoreland said:
Being the OP, I appreciate the clever reparte but can anyone elaborate on the differences between the two disciplines ?
Brits WALK with ALL their gear; Yanks ride with two tons of crap they don't need and ***** if they have to walk

·
Registered
27,084 Posts
Roger Gascoigne said:

Don't recall EVER seeing you in tweeds, Wellies or a TIE, Roger

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Another difference: In England they won't throw show birds if your squad is waiting behind another squad shooting. Also to see show birds, the 1st shooter must step out of the stand to watch.

Trappers don't call out the hits, only the misses.

Other than that I see very little difference.

Demi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.