Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the generally accepted "best" 12 gauge shell to use in shooting clays and skeet? Is there a different one for each? Is #7 the best way to go? What are the thoughts of the panel. Also, which shell weight is the most effective for the two activities? I assume that the best shell would be different for clays and skeet. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Skeet with a 12 ga..... most guys shoot 1 oz of #8, a few (seems to be more every year) shoot 7/8 oz of #8 or #8-1/2.

Then there's always a few who gotta shoot 1-1/8 oz; I keep tryin' to explain to 'em, "It's just a little clay target - you ain't tryin' to stop a charging cape buffalo."

For sporting clays, most of my shells are 1 oz of #8 at 1180 fps - for those few really LONG birds, I use 1-1/8 oz of #7-1/2 at 1350 fps - maybe a little hotter, or not quite as hot, depending on the course (or depending on what's already boxed up in the reloading room 'cause I didn't have time to load anything)

Your choice of choke is just as important as the load you're shooting... but ya know what's even more important?

1) lead the bird
2) keep your head DOWN
3) don't stop your swing

·
Registered
354 Posts
My experience is limited to trap, but I find nearly as many different loads on the field as I do shooters, especially given that many of the "serious" guys reload. Granted, there are only so many formulae for putting a shell together, but I swear some of these guys figure out new ways of doing things. Everything from 7/8 oz of #6 to 1-1/8 oz of #9.

If you're starting out, as I am, the best advice I've heard is to pick one shell and stick to it until you're consistently breaking 70% of the birds. Until that time you should be working on technique. After that point you can start fine tuning things. If you throw too many variables into the equation right at the beginning you'll never know what's "off", you or the loads (or you with a particular load).

You didn't ask, but the same holds true of chokes. Don't go trying every combination that the guy next to you swears is the ultimate setup, at least until you know the parameters of your own shooting. Then you can determine which choke might be appropriate to alter your shooting in a specific direction.

That said, no one is perfect, and we all like to experiment a bit. I've got a number of different loads, and just ordered a new IM choke. :) (Which was backordered... :()

For trap, I'm liking 1oz of #8 shot, with some heavier stuff thrown in for handicap and 27 yard work. The #8 shot is heavy enough, and you get more pellets per shell.

-- Sam

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Birdiman,

If you intend to shoot competition, #7 is not legal, and you may found some shooting grounds do not allow anything larger than 7½ for fall of shot reasons.

I have shot 1oz and lighter for the last 12 years - why beat yourself up?

Roger

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
I buy the promo loads at WalMart. $14.88 for a box of 100. They are 2 &3/4", 3 dram, 1 & 1/8 ounce of either 8s or 7 & 1/2s.

They seem to work fine for sporting clays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.