Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Neo
I want my slug gun to shoot like a rifle how do I do it ? Buy a muzzle loader and be done with it.
+1 on that Neo. The manufacturers have been pushing the 200 yard slug for years. Sure there are a few guys who can make that shot w/the proper equipment, lots of expensive practice (and a bit of luck). But the reality is most guys (and guns) simply aren't capable of making that shot with any repeatability. Many hunters won't invest the cash in ammo to practice with (and even if they did) don't have a range longer than 100 yards to practice on. They watch these tv hunters and figure if they can shoot a decent group @ 100 yards, then when a deer walks out @ 150-200 yards, they're going for it. In other words, just because you're wearing tv hunter clothing and the ammo ad said you're good to go @ 150-200 yards doesn't mean you should chance it. Deer aren't meant for target practice.

Neo
What type of slug guns are the most accurate ? Relatively speaking single shots and bolt actions seem to be the best performers.
True, but pumps and semi's offer faster follow up shots for thick areas and drives and are accurate @ most woods ranges.

Neo
Buy a scope that has a solid reputation
Quality optics will hold up to the recoil generated by slugs while cheap ones may for a while, but will eventually give up the ghost. But don't make the mistake of mounting good optics w/crap rings. I've used good rings for years and never had them fail.

Neo
What do I need to do to be a successfull hunter? Read, listen to other peoples opinion judiciously and have patience.. These last three are the most important PRACTICE, AND PRACTICE CORRECTLY AND BE REALISTIC.
As we all know, being a successful hunter requires more than just shooting practice (and the latest gadgets). I start scouting as soon as the season ends, look for sheds and prepare stand sights before spring green up. I scout for deer during the Spring/Summer and check existing stands, hang new stands, and prepare my entry/exit paths @ least a month before the next season begins.

Good topic Neo.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.