Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
As long as that ML is a smokeless powder type, it may be usefull on deer beyond 150 yards, otherwise it is lacking in the energy department compared to todays better sabot 12 ga shotgun slugs, as are todays best 20 ga loads. Keep your shots broadside and behind the shoulder and you might be ok at 200 yards with a pyrodex/777,blackpowder ML, otherwise not.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No one said you could not take any animal with a BP ML, just that energy is usually not adequate for anything but broadside, behind the shoulder shots past 150 yards. A 12 ga shotgun with modern sabots will do a good job killing quick on "other" shots, beyond that range (I have done it), where significant muscle or bone must be penetrated requireing a bit more oomph. I have also experienced an energy related failure to kill quick on a quartering away shot with a ML at 150 yards. I never said accuracy is not important but I can get equal or better accuracy from my rifled, bolt-action shotgun than I can from my non-smokeless ML. Double the energy at 150+, same or better accuracy, two extra shots, makes my weapon choice at long range a slam dunk in favor of a good bolt-action shotgun during regular season in a non-rifle zone. If and when I ever get another ML, it will likely be a smokeless, but I am scared a bit that my state (NY) might close that loophole. Until then, I will limit all my shots at over 100 yards with my non-smokeless model to broadside since learning that lesson the hard way. Unfortunately, that cuts my shot opportunities in half or so. Luckily, I can usually fill most or all of my tags before ML season starts thanks to that tack-driving, hard hitting Marlin512.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.