Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm 17 i'll be 18 in a few weeks and Im looking into being a gun owner. I'm mildly experienced with firearms, mostly fireing pistols on ranches and whatnot. Well Im not too sure on the legallitys and such on owning a shotgun in Texas. I've been told its legal to own a shotgun at 18 without a gun license, is this true? And what should I do as far as starting off owning a shotgun, It'll be used mostly for home protection and target shooting like once a week or so. And what would be a good shotgun to start out with for a first time shotgun shooter?

·
Registered
623 Posts
at 18 years old you can buy long guns and ammo for long guns (rifles and shotguns) and at 21 years old you can buy pistols and ammo. Now I dont know Texas law but it should be the same and you should have no problem buying a shotgun at age 18, provided you pass the background check. I would suggest contacting your state police and ask some questions.

And as far a gun recomendation, Remington 870 all the way. If its primarily for home defence get the 870HD which comes with black synthetic stock, 18 inch barrel and a factory 2 round mag extention

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Go to your local Academy and talk to the guys - or go to Carters Country. If you are going to shoot once a week or so, get a gun designed for this, it can still be used for home defense. Try a 12 gauge 870 with a 28" barrel. Should be only $250 or so. If you can afford it try a semi-auto.
Good luck,
G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.