Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Gentamens,
I have a question I think I alredy know the answer to, but I'm askin' any way.
My "barn gun" is an old double ugly Remignton Sportsman 48 in 20 bore w/ Cutts. (mod)
I would prefer a double gun for this work, but this is the one I don't feel bad about leaving in the barn.
My question refers to spring set. How often should I cycle this pig to make sure the mag spring stays springy?
Also, has anyone ever run #3 buck or a slug through a Cutts? Did you still have a gun afterwords?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Current thought is that 'spring set' doesn't exist with modern metallurgy. Springs are fatigued by being stretched or compressed past their design limits.

That said, I do hedge my bets by downloading a shell or two on a firearm I know is going to be kept in a ready-state but not going to be used any time soon.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think your biggest problem could be keeping the action clean. The problem with a double is you cannot really take the action apart to clean it. I'd clean it as often as I could with a good solvent and then oil it very lightly (oil attracts dust and dirt). That should keep it from binding up on you.

I don't know anything about Cutts chokes, so take the following as such. With most chokes, you can run any type of shot (steel, lead, or buckshot) through a modified choke. I don't think you'll have any problem with buckshot in your gun. You should probably be okay with a rifled slug as well. If you're nervous about it, pay a few bucks and have a good gunsmith check it out first though!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know when the sportsman 48 was made. It is the predessor to the 11000. It has no plug so if I load it with four I should be alright. The gun is flawless in performance. I ran a box through it as fast as I could to get it hot and look for failure.
There really isn't anything to check out on a Cutts, it is what it is, just a big ugly vent hangin' off the end of the barrel.
The gun has it's own little upright box/cabinet, that keeps most of the larger crud away.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
It's a 3 shot version of the 11-48 made from 1948-1968 serial# run from 3800000-3854000 for 20ga per remington.

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
# is #38077** so it must be very early. Wow. It is in pretty good shape with 95% blue. the wood has been thrown around some. It has an old crumbling vented recoil pad. I wonder if this is something better than a barn gun? Nah.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The 11-48 is recoil operated, not gas like the 1100. Keeping crud and corrosion off the mag tube and recoil spring assembly there is important to smooth operation. I'd worry more about the plastic hulls of the shells compressing if you leave it loaded than I would the springs.

Rob

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I think I'll leave two in the tube with an empty chamber and put a shell holding sleeve on the stock. In all regards a double gun would be better. I'll keep my eye open for such a thing.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
If you're looking for a double for a barn gun you can usually find a Stevens 311 for a couple hundred if you don't need one in perfect condition. They're generally bullet proof.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
sjohnny said:
If you're looking for a double for a barn gun you can usually find a Stevens 311 for a couple hundred if you don't need one in perfect condition. They're generally bullet proof.
I'm pretty sure that is the next gun I'm going to buy. I'm going to use it as a field gun until I can get something better for that role, and then turn it into a coach gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.