Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I bought a remington 870 express NIB and a box of 100 rounds of Federal birdshot (to break it in) and took to the range. It cycled well. Yesterday, I went to WalMart and bought 75 rounds of Winchester birdshot. Once again, took to the range and the forearm would lock every 6 rounds. The only way to cycle was to wait for about 45 seconds, push the forearm foward (even though the action was closed), and back to unlock. Is the problem with the shotgun or the ammo. High quality 00 buck cycled normaly... Thanks!

(BTW, My Mossberg 500 did not have a problem at all with the Winchester ammo)

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I've seen several posts here about the Winchester Wal-Mart specials causing problems, especially in brand-new guns. They seem to hang up more than other brands if the machining in the chamber is a bit rough. A common recommendation is to polish the chamber -- several folks have described methods, usually involving fine steel wool, a dowel or bore brush, a drill, and some lubricant.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
I've also heard of alot of problems w/ cheapo winchesters. I've pretty much only shot federal and remington. The only winchesters I buy are AA's or turkey loads. Sounds to me like the head on the cheapos is a little oversized and the remington chambers may be a bit undersized. I'd switch brands and if the problem persists hone the chamber.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess was that with the heat, the metal part of the shell dilated to the point that it got stuck in the chamber. That is my reasoning because after waiting a few seconds, then I was able to extract it (maybe because the metal part cooled down). Do I make any sense? :?:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to call Remington's customer service. They said that they have that problem with the cheap Winchester birdshot. According to them, Winchester uses cheap metal for the shells which deform and do not extract. Amazingly, my Mossberg 500 (breacher) digested every kind of ammo, including the cheap Winchester. I had a big dilemma when deciding between Mossberg and Remington, so I bought both. After this, I put my trust on the Mossberg with its double extractors. I like the Remington as well, but after this incident, I think I will keep the Remington just as a range shotgun due to its extraction problems.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
I fail to see why you won't trust a gun that won't work with cheap shells. Do you trust cheap shells with your life? I also noted that your extractor didn't break nor did it rip the head off the hull so in that case 10 extractors wouldn't have helped. Shoot both and shoot good shells. Last I checked winchester, remington, and federal all cost the same at wally world so it shouldn't be tough.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
fine steel wool (not the stuff with soap on it) + CLP.

Take the barrel off, put some CLP on the steel wool and use your finger to rub it around the cylinder. You're not trying to remove metal, just trying smooth out any imperfections left behind by poor machining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.