Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have this happen? 5 weeks ago, and again today, I shot my 28 ***** at a running rabbit, only to see the little buggers keep on going strong. Dog got to the last spot where rabbit was seen going over the hill, then lost the trail completely. Well, on both occasions, I found the rabbit stone dead about 50 yards further out, completely out in the open. I couldn't have been more surprised, since the rabbits showed no sign of flinching or anything else that would indicate it got hit by any of the pellets, and was last seen running at full blast over the horizon. Maybe using 7 1/2 shot size has something to do with the delayed kill? Just wondering what you all think

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Most rabbits that I've shot,and hit,kinda flip and stop right there. I use a 20, most of the time, with #6 Gameloads.In my 12,I use low brass #6 also. When ya skin em ,how shot up are they?

HWD

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using lead. I spoke today with my 79 year old dad, whom I gave yesterday's rabbit to. His first comment to me was "How in the h--- did that rabbit make it 50 more yards?" He said one hind leg was broken very high up, near the hip, and there were several pellets into the rib cage, where there was massive bleeding between the flesh and skin area. So I'm still wondering, was that rabbit running on adrenaline like deers with half their heart blown up still can run 100 yards? Most of my kills are also of the typical kind, where the rabbit cartwheels forward after being hit and is dead where it stops rolling. I must say it's a lot more enjoyable to find your rabbit lying dead when you've already beaten yourself up over being such a lousy shot(thinking you missed), than it is to see one jump straight up from a direct hit only to have it escape or crawl off, never to be found and presumed to eventually die from the wound. Agree?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man, you are using way to small shots (pellets). I use Uk no. 3 on rabbit. The rabbits winterdress is quite thick, here in Europe Finland. Yeasterday I shot a rabbit on 30 metres with 3,5 millimeters pellets, worked fine and no harm done to the meat. First game with my new Beretta 686E sporting!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
rustyspinner21 said:
Anybody else have this happen? 5 weeks ago, and again today, I shot my 28 ***** at a running rabbit, only to see the little buggers keep on going strong. Dog got to the last spot where rabbit was seen going over the hill, then lost the trail completely. Well, on both occasions, I found the rabbit stone dead about 50 yards further out, completely out in the open. I couldn't have been more surprised, since the rabbits showed no sign of flinching or anything else that would indicate it got hit by any of the pellets, and was last seen running at full blast over the horizon. Maybe using 7 1/2 shot size has something to do with the delayed kill? Just wondering what you all think
My male beagle will do the same ,comes to down rabbit figures end of track and comes in . Where I am luky is my little female will bring them back to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I never used to see that before I had beagles and was just jump shooting them.Since I started running them with dogs I have seen it a few times.I think you are right about the adreniline.They seem a lot harder to stop when the dogs are running them.
At least they didn't hole up and die.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Rolle said:
Man, you are using way to small shots (pellets). I use Uk no. 3 on rabbit. The rabbits winterdress is quite thick, here in Europe Finland. Yeasterday I shot a rabbit on 30 metres with 3,5 millimeters pellets, worked fine and no harm done to the meat. First game with my new Beretta 686E sporting!!
Mate, you must grow some pretty big rabbits over there ! Do you have the same sort of rabbits as we have in England ?

Leeboy

·
Registered
117 Posts
7-1/2 shot is a bit small,....don't get me wrong it'll kill, but will do alot more damage to the meat because of the high pellet count, We use 4's sometimes but mostly 5's on snowshoe hares we have here. try the odd size #5 shot and I think you'll be better off. You get enough killing power but get a few extra pellets over using the #4's. Strange that the rabbit kept going though, it must have been on some rush. It should have dropped with that much damage done.

·
Registered
308 Posts
years ago on a jack drive (jack rabbit) a rabbit ran out chased by the dogs.He ran in front of the firing line and was "hit" no less then 4 times.He shuddered or flipped each time he was hit too.out ran the dogs....then 60 yds out fell over dead.Strangest thing I've ever saw.Usually without dogs,they just fall over,Sometimes trying to get up when you go to pick 'em up. Ed

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use 7 1/2 shot trap loads for rabbits and they work well to 30m I even use them on Hares out to 20m without a problem of course that's in a 12ga.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kinda off topic, but i gotta rabbit wit my air rifle... right in the chest, and it flipped about 15 times, then ran off, and dissapeared, we go through the area it ran everyday, and cannot find the little *******, it musta got away, but how come it flipped like 15 times? i mean like really jumped 3-4 feet in the air and backflips and stuff....

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've had them get up and either crawl or sometimes run away. Not often but have seen it. Most of the time I find 4's, 6's or even 7 1/2's will do the damage no problem.

Usually happened in winter when they were in full coat and wet from dew or rain.

It happened a few times in 2004 so I invested in some 42gram mini-magnums in 2 and 4 shot (lead not steel). They NEVER got up after being hit by those :twisted:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find 7 1/2 shot to be a bit small, with 6 or 5 shot there is some shock value. Also, with 7 1/2 you end up with to many pellets in the meat. I hunt in pretty heavy cover and 6 shot will penetrate weeds and brush better. The only time I use 7 1/2 on bunnies is if I'm quail hunting also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had something similar happen to me a few weeks ago. I grabbed a two boxes of shells and did not realize that I had grabbed a box of my #8 skeet shells instead of my usual #5.

After hitting 4 rabbits strongly and having each one of them keep running off to the next guy I finally got mad. Made the 2 mile walk back to the truck to get my #5 shells. Once I had 5's in the chamber there was no issue, every one dropped dead and quick.

You may try going with some differant shells. But if the rabbit was in that bad of shape, then the rabbit was probably just living off of fear. Maybe a freak of nature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.