Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ithaca Model 51 in 12 gauge shoots 8" below the point of aim at 22 yards (center of the pattern is 8" low). When I mount the gun in a natural and comfortable position (face vertical-eyes horizontal) I see very little rib. I want to shoot skeet with this gun. What would be the best method to change the point of aim? Many thanks.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Raise the comb so that you see more rib.

Be careful while experimenting with various build up heights, (to see just how much you are going to need for the permanent fix), to not add anything to the cheek side of the comb. That would throw your point of impact off in the horizontal direction.

Then you can add an adjustable comb or some permanent or semi-permanent, (leather lace on or stretchy rubber cover with pad under it, moleskin etc.) method of making that comb higher.

Clyde

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clyde, I was thinking of a negative pitch spacer. I'll try adding something temporary to the comb.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you want to try something without buying anything, don't mount the gun tight against your cheek. A little lower so you see more rib. I shoot gun down [ under the arm when calling for a bird ] and my old SxS's have about 2" DAC and 3" DAH. Because I keep my head up and mount the gun to my jaw instead of the cheek everything works good. I know in this day and age everyone wants to put their head down on the stock, but even with modern diamensions nothing says you have to, pick it up just a little and see if that works. Then if you want some kind of pad could be added if you wanted. Paul

·
Registered
661 Posts
I regularly use strips of styrafoam cut from cups and tape to raise the comb to fit gun to student. It is easy and effective as a temporary fix. Just cut strips about half an inch wide and the length of the cup. You can center your eye over the rib at the same time by introducing a bit of cast as you build. You will need to raise the comb about 3/8 inch, which is not unusual. Floyd in Vienna

·
Registered
311 Posts
I tend to shoot over the target naturally because I have a tendancy to cover the bird with the barrel instead of using the bead as my point of reference so, the gun would probably be better to hit lower than where I aim. I use the whole barrel as my sight picture with in your case would actually put you dead on.

My question would be how you do when you shoot it?

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
You need to raise your comb approximately 0.40 inches ("x"/1=8/22 = 0.40 = 13/32"). You can do that by adding material to the comb or getting an adjustable comb installed.

The pitch of a stock is basically the angular relationship of the butt pad to the bore of the gun and changing that will not help you at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
To raise the comb, the easiest way is to use the "Beartooth comb raising kit". Cabelas sells it at $ 17.99. You can do it yourself and it's not permanent.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
mousson said:
To raise the comb, the easiest way is to use the "Beartooth comb raising kit". Cabelas sells it at $ 17.99. You can do it yourself and it's not permanent.
You are not kidding that they are not permanent! They work, when you first get them on right. But next week, they have slipped and slid somewhere else. The height is over to one side, or whatever.

They will tell you what you need, as to height, but you have to keep adjusting them, if you want to keep on using them. Virtually all such temporary risers are this way. The ugly, homemade, taped on ones work much better!

Clyde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts