Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone aware of a skeet range in Mt. Vernon, Texas? I could have sworn I once read of such a range, however, I can't find it in the phone book or on the net. I'd like to give skeet a whirl, but I need a range within reasonable driving distance (50 miles). Thanks. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You might try the guys at Tyler Gun Club, I'm sure they can tell you what's in the local area.

also http://www.txskeet.com/ has the list of "registered" clubs, but I'm sure there are some private fields in the area.

Marshall TX is magnificent--do they still put about a million lights up in the town square at Christmas?

John

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vee, thanks for the link. I'll email them. Yes, the lights are up and the tour buses will be rolling in anytime now. It is pretty.

Ton, Do you recall where the range north of Marshall was--towards Jefferson and Texarkana? We are in the process of relocating to the old family farm near Mt. Pleasant, which is why I was asking about Mt. Vernon. That would be a 20 minute zip up I-30 for me. I've never shot at a skeet range, only in the pasture with my trap (yes, the rope is around my ankle). I don't really know what to expect or how I might be recieved. I like to shoot vintage guns and have all the medals I need in a shoebox somewhere. I don't even know if one has to be a member or not. I don't believe I'd be interested in shooting what you guys call "registered". I'm retiring after next year and will have a bit more time (and half as much money, lol). Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
The place was just due North out of town, bout 7 miles or so, on a divided 4 lane IIRC, but I found this.

Fly-By-Nyte Trap Sales & Service
4500 Victory Drive, #4
Marshall, Texas 75672

Adam LeLand Spikes

Adam is a good kid, and he and his dad ran that place I mentioned. Shame if it is gone, was a neat place. Get ahold of Adam, he will know. The listing shows he has a 5 stand.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ton, Yes, that would be on Hwy 59 toward Jefferson. The street address you gave is in town, in fact, it's less than a mile from my house. I'm going home (to Marshall) next weekend and I'll try to contact him. Thanks again. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
If you are going to be living near Mt. Pleasant, Paris would be about 50 miles away. The club is open every Saturday and Sunday from 1-5. We've got 3 skeet fields, 1 trap, and a 5 stand. Not a big club, but we're a wonderful bunch of guys. :lol:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, looks like I should be able to find someplace to embarrass myself. Claybuster, I may show up one weekend in Paris. Sounds like fun. I don't have a skeet gun that is so labeled, but I do have a 12ga O/U with 26" Mod/IC barrels, and a 12 gauge pump with a 26" IC barrel (Manufrance). All my other shotguns are either modified or full. Reckon that would be admissable? Thanks again for the links and information. Good hunting and good luck.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Sure, come on up! :D I'm one of those that shoot a field gun, but I do screw in open chokes. Another guy shoots side by sides with whatever chokes they happen to come with. One disclaimer: We don't always open the 5 stand because it takes a bit more to get it opened up and someone has to sit aside and run the controller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts