Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next week i will be going hunting for the first time ( moss.500 24in rifled barrel using sabots) and i have a little dilemma. the nearest range doesn't allow shotgun use on the 100 yd range only on the 50 yd range so i am unsure of how accurate i will be beyond 50yds. i would go to another range but the others are all over an hour away and i dont drive. the salesmen at the store said all i have to do is aim the crosshairs a little above my target and i should hit where i intented to do you agree? do you have any suggestions for me beacuase i would hate it if i missed an oppurtunity at my first deer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sight in at 50 yards, about 2 inches high and you will be fine out to 100yds. If you have never sighted in a shotgun before from the bench, grab the forend and place your supporting hand on the rest. You need to follow thru with a slug gun as the sabot is in the barrel for a longer period of time than in a rifle. Good luck..Mike

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I agree but wish I knew what ammo you will be using.
If nondiscarding sabots like Hastings, Lightfields, Buckhammer, then 2" high at 50 would still have you in the kill zone at 100.
The heavier discarding sabots, 400 plus grains, should also be on at 100 if a little high at 50.
Best of luck to you. The first one is always the hardest and the best! :D

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Check with the range again to make sure that those rules also apply to shooting slugs. There are lots of ranges that don't want buckshot out beyond 50 yards (it busts up the backers) but most places I know of treat slug guns like rifles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts