Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've heard it before. My grandfather left me a gun. I don't know anything about it, except that his dad gave it to him in the 70's and it had been around for a while then.

It is clearly marked on the left side of the reciever
RANGER 101.6 (looks like 101-6, but I figure it's supposed to be a "."). it's a 12gauage SxS with double triggers and it's hammerless. It looks a lot like a Stevens 311.

I've checked may places and asked many experts, but no-one seems to be able to help me. I've never actually held it up to a Stevens 311, so I can't be sure at this point. What I've discovered from my searching is that Stevens made some guns for Sears (some called Sears and some called Ranger?) but on all the cross references for guns I can never find a ranger 101.6

I'd like to know the age of this gun, and any other information that might aide me in declaring an insurance value on it. If it is a Stevens 311 would I be able to use the same values for it or would it be worth more or less because it is a Ranger? Hope you guys can help me out!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well, if it's not the 311, it could be the 311A, C, D, E, F, H, J/R or 311 New Style. And the 530 series is pretty much indistinguishable from the 311's. Having the Ranger name will knock 20-25% off the value of the Stevens in the same condition.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I found several other questions about the 101.6 and they all stated that 5100 was stamped on the opposite of the gun from 101.6..... hope this helpsyou out somewhat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't noticed 5100 on the other side of the gun. It's currently stored at my mother's. I'll double-check this weekend. If so that will make this a lot easier! Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just checked the gun again today. It says 5000, not 5100. OK, lets assume that its a Stevens 5000, anybody got bluebook info, how about finding the year it was manufactured? I have serial numbers. I think I read early on that this is just an earlier version of the 5100/311, right? probably 1930's? Thanks in advance for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting conversation. I would like to add something. I too have a Ranger 12ga SxS however, mine has no model number. It says "Proof Tested" and pat. apr. 20 1917. Anything different from the one you discussed? Any idea on the date?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Glenn, yours would be totally different, shotguns stamped Ranger Arms company were made by the Crescent Arms Company before the first World War. date is probably within a couple years of the patent..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. Actually, it doesn't say "Ranger Arms" but only "Ranger." I checked it and the patent is for 1915 and all pieces are stamped with the serial #X13094. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
actually when I said Arms it was a brain fart, but your revised patent date (the 1915) would denote a Savage/Stevens model 315 I believe. there were boatloads of companies making Ranger marked guns and it's about the toughest out there. I hope I'm right this time...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts