Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? Well, I'm still going to buy a reloading shotshell press, but, which one? A MEC 9000G or RCBS Grand? Just want a mechine that can do years of hard work. Did the Grand get the crimp worked out? Could use some input. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
CBL43,
Before you jump off the deep end on spending money, why not check out e-bay. You can buy good used loaders that will last a lifetime for a lot less than you can buy new.
I bought a used Ponsness-Warren 900 series loader for $275 a cou;le years ago, and have added a automatic shell feeding system, and upgraded the shot/powder tubes to the low profile 2000 series style and still do not have $500. total wrapped up in the machine.
This is the cadillac of the loading industry, and far surpasses the other progressive loaders on the market. But that is just my opinion after having one for a couple years. If you are into magnum loads, P-W also has a conversion that will allow you to convert the PW loader to load your duck and goose loads.
You can contact P-W at www.reloaders.com and request a copy of thier brochure to look over before you buy anything.

JackL

ps. I do not have a MEC 9000G loader, but I have a Mec Grabber in both 12 and 20 ***** that have not loaded a shell since I got my P-W.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have/or owned both. Started with the 9000G and currently have the Grand. Both are good machines! The 9000 will cost less and will be easier to move around if you want to. You will get a workout with your arms using it. My biggest complaint with the 9000; spilled powder and shot! The main reason I got the Grand was the fact that if a hull is not present at either the powder or shot station, they won't drop. The Grand is a lot heavier and not portable, use a good bench to mount it. But it is built like a tank! It should last several life times. RCBS has been great with support if you need it. I don't think you will make a wrong decision either way. By the way, the main reason for crimp problems with the Grand is that both RCBS and Federal are owned by Blount Industries, so the Grand comes set up for Federal hulls. It is stated so in the manual but only takes about 2 min to adjust for AA's. If you call RCBS they will tell you how or I'm sure you can find a post some where on how to do it. I do wish RCBS would put how to do the adjustment in the manual as most people I shoot with reload AA's or STS's. Also once it is adjusted for AA's, it will load STS's as well without further adjustment. (At least mind does)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.