Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years I am looking to once again enjoy some recreational shooting. I don't hunt, just plan to shoot clays. Don't know yet if Ill get competitive with it. I have read thru the post and know the 870 is a good general choice. But I shoot lefty and was shown a used Ithaca 37 and like the downward discharge. (I have caught some hot rounds in the occasional shooting I've done in the past). I haven't found much posted about the Ithaca 37, is this a good choice? Reliable? Does it kick much? because if it does my small wife will not get interested. Would 20 Ga be that much different from a 12 Ga? My budget for this 1st weapon purchase tops out at about $350. I suspect a used, quality gun is a better deal than a new medium quality gun? Other suggestions welcome - This looks to be a friendly, helpful site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Geezer, hello! I get excited everytime someone posts something about the Ithaca 37...does this give you a hint about my fondness for it?

The model 37 kicks more than the 870 but recoil is quite subjective, so do try both with your wife before you decide. Good luck!

I am also getting an 870 wingmaster, being the shotgun i shot my first bird with! Given a choice between only one of the two, therefore, is a tough tough chjoice for me..........am glad I am not in that situation by wanting both without further fuzz.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An Ithaca will kick a bit more than an 870, but being left-handed myself, I like them better. Ithacas are what I've grown up with(living 10mi from Ithaca might have something to do with it :lol: ), but they've gotten pretty pricey recently. You should be able to find a good used one in your price range easily though. The other one to look at would be the Browning BPS; I personally don't like it as much, but it is bottom eject.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Geezer....
I find it odd that you haven't found much posted about the 37. There seems to be a new post on this forum at least once a week, sometimes every day. One thing is for sure, if you want responses, post a message about Ithica's. The interest in these guns is a reflection of its popularity. Old ones in good condition are getting harder to find. $350 is about minimum bid. The Browning BPS is also bottom eject. It is quite a bit heavier than the model 37 but that helps to dampen recoil. It is well made and used ones are available, but again $350 is on the low side for a Browning.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Just last week, I had the chance to shoot a 30 year old Ithaca 16 ga over some clays. I don't care what you Ithaca lovers say, that gun is BRUTAL.

If I was still into upland game hunting I would certainly consider an Ithaca for the lightness, and because it is such a smooth operating shotgun. However, for shooting that requires a lot of shells like clays or doves in Argentina I wouldn't consider it.

Further, I wouldn't consider getting this gun for my wife.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts