Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded several boxes of target loads using Remington Black 16 gauge hulls on a mec 600 jr. I shot twice before attempting to open my AYA #2. I had to use lot of force to open the gun. Firing pin drag on the primers and part of the brass is visable. I tried 2 more rounds from a different box with the same results. I shot factory loads the rest of the day with no difficulty opening the gun. The primers on my reloads are flush with the brass and I can see no difference between my Remington reloads and factory ammo. I'm thinking that the problem might be with the resizing adjustment and I intend to mic the base thickness of factory and my reloads. Anyone have a thoughts?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well, somebody gotta say sumpin.

That's the Spanish made Gun, A y A. (A & A). "Aguirre y Aranzabal"
Just read about it today. Great gun. Probably not the fault of the Gun.

Maybe you should ask in the Gunsmithing forum. I bet they've see this problem before.

Sounds like an easy fix sort of thing. Be patient.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
wyobirds said:
I loaded several boxes of target loads using Remington Black 16 gauge hulls on a mec 600 jr. I shot twice before attempting to open my AYA #2. I had to use lot of force to open the gun. Firing pin drag on the primers and part of the brass is visable. I tried 2 more rounds from a different box with the same results. I shot factory loads the rest of the day with no difficulty opening the gun. The primers on my reloads are flush with the brass and I can see no difference between my Remington reloads and factory ammo. I'm thinking that the problem might be with the resizing adjustment and I intend to mic the base thickness of factory and my reloads. Anyone have a thoughts?
Most probable cause is insufficient resizing of the reloads. Your gun most probably has tight chambers, and requires full resizing. It's possible that your resizing ring on the 600 Jr. is worn and not fully resizing the shells.

You could slightly hone and polish the chambers and relieve the problem, but I would replace the sizing ring first and see if that doesn't fix your problem.

If all else fails, purchase a Super Sizer that will resize back to factory specs.

DLM

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think DLM is right on target. Do as he suggests and your problem may be over. I had the same experience with some reloads and a wonderful old Damascus gun; re-sizing did the trick.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checkeed my press and found that the re-sizing bushing was up about 1/16" which did not allow the bushing to fully bottom out at the base of the hull. Re-adjusted the bushing and loaded and shot a few without problems.

·
Registered
926 Posts
wyobirds said:
I checkeed my press and found that the re-sizing bushing was up about 1/16" which did not allow the bushing to fully bottom out at the base of the hull. Re-adjusted the bushing and loaded and shot a few without problems.
ITS A MIRACLE!!!!! AHMEN

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
wyobirds said:
With the handle fully down, that ring should be about the thickness of a nickle away from the base. If you set the ring down on the base, you will be squashing the rim and causing future difficulty.

Look at the way the base is folded up in the picture. See why it will be easy to smash the rim??

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had previously removed the sizing bushing and when I screwed it back on I went to far and as a result the hulls were not re-sized. The bushing is now where it should be and the shells do not cause the firing pins to drag. Thanks for your suggestions

·
Administrator
23,244 Posts
carpe dm said:
Curly! You wasted a hull???? :roll: :wink:
Just a donation for the benefit of the guys, it was worth it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts