Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain an actual need to have a brand new M37 barrel factory or gunsmith fitted to a brand new M37 gun (receiver)?

I bought a brand new M37 12Ga. with a 30" barrel and later ordered a 24" barrel directly from Ithaca for my upland hunting. With the 24" barrel, Ithaca enclosed a flyer warning of possible problems or injury unless the gun was shipped back to Ithaca to be fitted to the receiver (I assume at my expense...) Headspace was mentioned as a possible problem. Well, the 24" barrel installed snuggly on the receiver; just like the 30" one and I see no signs of popped primers or swollen shell cases upon firing. The gun being new; I'm still getting accustomed to it, but should it require warranty work; I wonder if the unfitted vs. fitted barrel could prove to be an issue?

·
Banned
579 Posts
T-bone: Ithaca barrels have been interchangeable without fitting since serial # 855,000. Have no idea what Ithaca Ohio is up to, but if they are building barrels the way they have been built since the 1960's, you should not need to fit. If you see no signs of headspace, as you have already suggested, I'd say you're good to go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yours fit fine, I had one that did not. I bought some 28ga barrels and had one that would spin around in circles. I went to the factory and was told the barrel lug is now in a dovetail, not soldered on like the originals. Zak took it away, and when he came back it tightened up just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.